Gaming on Linux (updated 8/2018) | Level One Techs

I wouldn’t hold my breath on Star Citizen release at all because then I’d be dead for 2 years already.

But anyway, that’s what I meant. They said they basically have to rewrite half the engine if they want a “true” Vulkan build (not like the DX12 abominations that are going around).

On a sidenote: Doesn’t SC use CryEngine? They’d have to rewrite the whole thing for Vulkan… Or does it support Vulkan now? I haven’t followed it. I always thought it was DX exclusive.
/edit
CryEngine V apparently supports Vulkan. To what extent is another question.

Well, but that’s exactly his point. If the game is using DX then using wine is one thing, but if you’re going the Vulkan route there really isn’t much reason to not just build a native port, because the API is the same.
And as much as I like id software for showing people that Vulkan is a viable option, I don’t understand why Doom and Wolfenstein are not native Linux. As soon as people got it running on Wine (which… basically day 1) they basically said “oh well, it’s running already so why bother”.

In those types of scenarios I totally get @Scoopta’s concern. DX games are a different story though.

2 Likes

I totally agree with his concern, but if you want people to switch over to Linux (LIke I did) these technologies need to be there.

Maybe no Vulkan ports, that’s not excusable, but the idea of not using wine for other games is Ludacris.

The reason Linux has such a small gaming audience isn’t that people don’t like Linux. Tons of people understand Linux is much better than say, windows. It’s just there isn’t enough support/applications.

I’d rather the gaming demographic on Linux get smaller, and the overall market of Linux users increasing, which in turn would make developers more likely to port games to Linux, slowly increasing the gaming demographic, until overtime (hopefully) it snowballs and Linux has more than 1% of gaming share.

Fun fact, some engineers at id software made a Linux build of doom. Why it was never released…who knows. See: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/doom-2016-could-have-been-on-linux-id-software-made-a-linux-version-sound-easy-to-do.11465/ Also they don’t use CryEngine V. They used to but if I remember right they moved to Amazon Lumberyard(a fork of CE V). How close that fork is to the real thing is another matter and I have no idea what the Vulkan support is like on Lumberyard.

AFAIK they only used that for the singleplayer thing, hence the lawsuit.

But not that it actually matters. We’ll probably not live long enough to see it released.

Yeah. I hope they’ll make a Linux version but they have to release the game first.

War Thunder has been talking about Vulkan for a while and only recently has it been revealed a hidden Alpha build Vulkan renderer is available for testing with War Thunder on Windows and Linux (MoltenVK for Mac hasn’t been coded yet, and Mac already has Metal)

1 Like

I read that post, actually kinda cool. But it’s still a lot of work for them :wink:

What kind of gpu would you need to run Linux with looking glass? Can it be crap single slot??

Yes. The only thing the Host GPU needs is a monitor output.

I have an idea about making VFIO easier for everybody. Given the fact that audio is the biggest problem right now for anyone doing GPU passthrough I was wondering if someone could help in this regard.
There have been attempts to solve this at GSoC:
https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2015#QEMU_audio_backend
https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2017#QEMU_audio_backend
by pumping audio through GStreamer but as far as I can tell no one took the project.

There is also a QEMU patch for solving most of these issues:

but it never got upstreamed and compiling it for anything other than Arch is more than you can ask from the average Linux user trying to get VFIO working.

To @wendell: Could you sprinkle a little magic like you did with LookingGlass this way? I think it will help the VFIO community more than anything else right now.

…But… most people that use VFIO use Arch… and are probably able to do the patches.

They may also use Fedora or an Ubuntu/Debian derivative. There are no numbers that I know for how many users with VFIO use what distro.
Although, it still stands, anybody should be able to have perfect VFIO audio, one way or another, more so now that @wendell is doing a guide for Ubuntu.

According to this, most people using VFIO run Arch. Only 10% is Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora combined.

https://passthroughpo.st/tpp-hardware-survey-results-now-available/

Fair point. Though I’m not sure how much I believe that post. I also participated in the study, I also asked a question on the original study post because I have 43 IOMMU groups:

and my system is not in the survey results
(X99-E WS on Ubuntu derivative with GTX 970).
The results are surely skewed though I don’t know how much (71 out of 133 in favor of Arch is huge any way you put it) or if they are skewed because users of other distros didn’t know how to answer to some of the questions correctly.
Anyway it would still be nice if the patches to qemu come upstream or if the GStreamer thing happens. The qemu 3.0 release is just around the corner https://wiki.qemu.org/Planning/3.0
and I’m not sure the reddit user will maintain the out of tree patch forever to have audio working.

Though all the guides from Wendell are Fedora and Ubuntu, so it’s understandable if newbs follow them, and then they get Audio issues and get frustrated :wink:
Many people using arch might be true, but those are the people that already did it before Wendell’s guides existed.

Question.
I have a micro atx board that will support one dual gpu slot and one single.

Now I want windows to run on the dual gpu in the first slot
And Linux in the second slot single gpu

Linux will be main os with windows being a vm

Will Linux use the second gpu or does it require first slot?

Depends on the board.
Generally it is possible, though it’s a little more complicated because usually the first slot is initialised first, unless you can select it in the UEFI.

There’s some videos/articles about it, couldn’t tell you how exactly it works though :stuck_out_tongue:

Would be great to have the step-by-step video for getting up and running with Looking Glass. The forum is great but there is no cohesive instruction for this.

I am keen to give this a go but wondering how I will go using an M.2 SSD given that I think using two GPUs on my mobo bottlenecks the M.2 lanes. Has anyone tried the above with an M.2 SSD and had any luck?

I’ve found that a different Wine Staging branch with additional patches called wine-esync-staging with PBA patches seems to getting more popular among Arch users, but likely won’t be upstreamed.

If you care to tackle Arch again @wendell, wine-esync-staging with PBA patches and Steam patches and DXVK might be worth looking into.