Community Thread -- Gaming on Linux Video with LTT

does optimization guides and relative benchmarking, expect vs. native in the future. We just need to gear up for standardized testing on baremetal

Good video would have been nice to look at some of the native library.

How a compiled list of desired guides? For instance installing linux with some nvidia cards still requires nomodeset to use the GUI installer… Or installing the amdgpu pro driver for freesync support. We can show Linux through rose colored glasses all day but the first problem a newb runs into will scare them away especially if they were apprehensive to use the OS. And catastrophe on Linux is imminent when dabbling.

There is no additional drivers GUI for the AMDGPU drivers, you need to update to the latest kernel and mesa to get the latest code, this is what they talked about in the video, not Nvidia drivers.

edit: Essentially, the AMDGPU code because its open source is within a number of Linux components, the kernel, mesa, vulkan, etc. so to get the latest improvements and updates requires having newer kernels and mesa. This is generally not a problem for distros that update faster, but for distros like Ubuntu it can be beneficial to use some ppas to get newer mesa code and get the newest kernel. Especially with newer cards like Vega cards.

With nvidia this isn’t the case, the driver is all a binary blob has its own opengl stack etc, Ubuntu generally ships the latest or one version behind nvidia driver for the current kernel they use.

1 Like

I also forgot for latest zen support you need newer than 4.15 unless Ubuntu backported. Which I don’t believe is the case.

So ukuu is still the more optimal of two suboptimal solutions, for newbs anyway. It’s not like it’s downloading from kernel.org… literally the ubuntu kernel update util…

3 Likes

I’ll use kickstart

pxe + kickstart

See my issue was that the video focused too heavily on installing updates and fixing compatibility. A showcase of native Linux gaming, WINE, and PCI passthrough would have bene far more beneficial as an intro video. Instead it spends 5 minutes discussing AMD updates and then displays windows compatibility without even a small demo of just how easy it is to start gaming on Linux natively.

1 Like

So PCI passthrough is not possible with a hybrid graphics setup (most gaming laptops where the dedicated GPU is wired to the iGPU through a video muxer).

It actually is, just not with the cheaper muxless implementations

even then there’s a lot of gotchas.

Eurocom/Muxed clevos as well as high end dell precisions work IIRC

ASUS, MSI, Quantal, Flextronics are mixed bags, major brands are mostly no outside of dell and lenovo business

Please don’ t tell me you are a person who installed Linux 8yrs ago and belives nothing has changed…

As I mentioned the wide majority is not possible, the only ones I’ve seen are the high end Razer laptops where the display outputs on the laptop are wired directly to the dGPU.

yeah, there are plenty more than that though. Just throwing the info out there.

1 Like

Right? I’ve been running windows 10 since the insider version. I have never had it brick a person PC or even of number of 100s of client PCs that run it.

Sounds like something else is going on

1 Like

I had issues with Alpine (both 3.6 and Edge) KVM ethernet Virtio implementation on the host side. The guest network interface would hang after passing a sizable number of packets. Something related to queue lenght on the hypervisor size. I was using a couple of double e1000e PCI-E NICs. I’ve fixed the problem by switching to another distro.

you are lucky. even my grandma with a bone stock windows 10 install had major problems with it. ( 4th reinstall and counting no registry tweaks no 3rd party programs just windows updates. )

1 Like

I had similar issues when using the virtio model.
Originally I was using: -net nic,model=virtio - which also lead to random issues with the network.
How-ever, since I’ve started using “virtio-net-pci” instead, I haven’t seen any issues.
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=net0 -netdev bridge,id=net0

1 Like

to be fair the linux desktop experience is actually worse now than it was 5 years ago

at least xorg had the courtesy to let you fix the busted shit it does, and didn’t hand over all the responsibility for HID and input over to the compositor.

Also none of the major DEs were trying to recreate commercial UX, but shittier. They were just focused on not breaking.

Cinnamon hasn’t changed since it was advertised as a refuge for Windows XP users. I guess that’s good though? Cinnamon not having major changes is actually good.

KDE on the other hand nerfed Dolphin so much.

1 Like

I said mainstream

KDE, Gnome, XFCE

even then there’s still wayland adoption and mutter/gtk codebase insanity to worry about