Community Thread -- Gaming on Linux Video with LTT

Virtualizing firewalls and routers is absolutely an acceptable process and is heavily used in the enterprise.

Depending on the network setup you use, packets aren’t really “processed” by the host bridge. A network bridge is just a virtual switch, routing packets where they need to go along layer 3 (iirc).

Comes with the territory, I personally wouldn’t run it on my PC, but the firewall/router should always have a static IP and as such accessing it without DHCP is really a non-issue.

2 Likes

Imagine a new user opens this thread hoping to learn about gaming on Linux.

16 Likes

Bridges in Linux put the interface in promiscuous mode so if there is a packet it will receive it exactly like a switch. Now switches implement this using hardware but your computer is bridging through the operating system network subsystem. Guess what will happen when these packets arrive?

I work with enterprise and I’ve never seen a virtualized firewall in my life. Companies spend money buying dedicated boxes from companies like Cisco, CheckPoint and Fortinet. Not saying that these don’t exist or there aren’t real use cases for them but the only time I’ve seen those are for testing and hobbyists trying to scram everything into an all in one server.

I tell you. It’s a lot more fun and hobb-ey to install OpenWRT, Linux or PFSense on an appropriate device and work with it from there.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen those. They probably make sense as some kind of virtual network infrastructure and they probably use hardware assisted virtualization like SR-IOV. In any case, routing packets on a bridge do not magically happen. There are frame processing routines on the kernel and that is CPU.

But I’m just giving my opinion. I’ve done that before and the one thing I remember was the god damn computer fan spinning like mad 100% 24/7 specially when routing very chatty stuff like torrents. The advantage though it that I had a virtual DMZ that didn’t need any physical NIC.

But lets end it here. Everyone is looking at us in a weird way.

No problem, sounds more like I need to do a guide on virtualized PfSense. Not sure why your system was spinning fans like crazy, I’ve had nothing but good experiences with my project. KVM and VirtIO as a whole are fantastic and allow for bare-metal performance in most cases.

1 Like

To be fair I was running FreeBSD with Bhyve and I’ve tried both Open and FreeBSD as virtual firewalls however Bhyve also does virtio. The noise was not the worst part. The complexity was. Nowadays I’m running Linux on an APU2 for firewall. NFTables and Wireguard makes me happy for ditching BSD and coming back home to Linux land. :smiley:

Nice. I’m just running PfSense on Proxmox (libvirt).

VirtIO drivers worked out of the box, and performance has been great.

I agree that Ukuu for Ubuntu is a pretty nifty tool to manage kernels.
The only downside of the said tool is that it still doesnt provide that much information on the said kernel.
The 4.17 kernel series are allready popping up in Ukuu.
But some deeper research into which particular kernel to install is definitelly needed.
But stil you could indeed also use other distro´s.

Still i´m really looking forward to see the more indepth video´s on the gaming on Linux subject.
But in the end we can only hope that we get enough audience watching and commenting on the video series.
To get more game devs triggered to conider Linux ports.
I´m pretty convinced that the gaming experience on Linux can be better then ever,
with just the right support behind it.
And the key might also be with Vulkan api.
Allthough the whole hype about Vulkan looks to be dryed out a bit unfortunatlly.

Maybe as a community we might concider building a Linux distro image,
that contain all the tools that a user would need to get going with Gaming on Linux.
Adding manuals etc to it.

That might be a cool idea maybe?

2 Likes

Just a heads up. OpenSuSE Tumbleweed runs on 4.17. Unlike Ubuntu its a bleeding edge rolling build and that might make it less attractive because your system might break after tomorrow but on the other hand they have utilities that, assuming you are on the default suggested file system (which is BTRFS), can easily snapshot and rollback your system from menus. It’s easy as booting the computer and choosing to boot the previous version or reverting to it.

I’ve been building a gaming system with a read only version of tumbleweed that can boot from flash. Games and steam are on spinning rust HDD. I’ve set it to boot directly to big picture and control it though a Playstation DS4 controller. Works great but still needs tuning.

1 Like

so what you’re saying is nothing about opensuse is good

Open Suse is a pretty good distro.
Its probablly one of the best distro´s out there with a very large support base.
But yeah its a littlebit hard to setup and get going for beginners i think.
And the same basically counts for Fedora, allthough Fedora has become allot more user friendlly these days.

Ubuntu or any of its derivatives are a bit easier to get going.
Allthough messing arround with kernels can be tricky.
Except for Linux Mint maybe, which includes a proper kernel management tool.
But then again they have a slightlly older software base.

Still i cant wait to see some decent guides regarding Linux gaming.

1 Like

Thats quite a stretch. First of all Tumbleweed is not the stable release. Tumbleweed is a rolling release just like Gentoo but without all the compiling and Leap is just like Centos.

Tumbleweed will offer all the bleeding edge packages and kernel with the latest technologies but like all the rolling release distributions it might break after an update. But instead they offer you the advantage of snapshoting. If some upgrade breaks your computer you can just rollback to the state before the update. Contrary to Windows Restore the rollback its instant because its on file system level instead of just copying files over.

The level of unhelpfulness here is outstanding.

Here is some actual news about Linux Gaming:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-HDMI-Audio-Component

1 Like

zero commercial software vendors validate for stable opensuse, and the UX of rolling opensuse is inferior to other rolling systems

it’s like compromising on chocolate and vanilla by offering chalk dust that can be dyed according to the user’s flavor preference

oh hey, that’s nice

is hdmi audio really that recent on AMD?

On the OSS side yeah. The proprietary side it has worked for quite some time.

ah gotcha

blobs = 6 pack abs

1 Like

If you want to play that card only ancient Ubuntu Precise (12.04) is supported by Steam.

I’d legit rather use ubuntu 12 than suse

at least 12.04 doesn’t use systemd

at that poin’t you’ve comparing a turd to a turd with corn though