Gameserver on a PC

Hoi

I am planing to replace the family NAS. Currently we use a Synology DS 216 Play with 2x 4TB drives in RAID 1. The WD Red drives are about 80% full. As the drives are almost 3 years old I am going to replace them soon. (Last time i replaced them after 4 years I almost lost all the data to drive failure)

Now I thought to replace the whole NAS with a new one. I never had any problems with Synology and I like there products and especially there customer service, but I was thinking on replacing it with a home build FreeNAS setup.

I never played around with the OS so I am not sure if it is a good idea but I like the idea to custom my hardware to my needs.
Speaking of hardware. I am concerned about power consumption. My Synology NAS is quit good using only around 20W. I don’t think that I can beat this number but I don’t want to use more than 50W.

The whole project should not cost more than 400$ without the drives and I am planing to do do 3X3TB RAID 5 so I have 6TB of usable space. I want 4 bays tho, so I can upgrade to 4x3TB to get another 3TB.

Is this possible and should I do this or just buy another Synology NAS for 400$

Ah and I am currently hosting a MC server for some friends. Is it possible to run the server from the NAS?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.