Games that drive you crazy while trying to play with a controller on console or pc

I just got done playing Dig Dug using the Xbox One S controller and my goodness it didn't even do what I wanted it to do at times despite pushing or pulling in the right direction. Btw I am trying out that new monthly pass (14 day trial) from Microsoft and there is quite a bit to choose from. For some this will be a good thing but with my backlog for life and my preference to own games I can't see me using this past the free month. Now anyway .... back on subject ...

What games have driven you crazy while trying to play them with a controller?

Every FPS

8 Likes

I second this.

Also, any flight sim.

3 Likes

Just Cause 3 is my favorite game. But you have to play with keyboard + mouse + controller and I don't have 4 hands. Most of the time I use keyboard and mouse, but most vehicles are better using a controller. Some vehicles, like tanks, are better controlled via keyboard because I need the mouse to aim the turret in one direction while driving in another direction.

So I am constantly switching between keyboard + mouse vs controller and then trying to determine if maybe using the keyboard is better for this particular vehicle. What a pain in the ass it is to jump out of a car, only to get immediately killed because I wasn't fast enough getting back onto the keyboard.

1 Like

Another one is ELITE: Dangerous.

I couldn't play at all using the keyboard and mouse. Elite's button configuration page has about 200 commands. I had to create a custom controller configuration by trial and error. It took days until I got it just right, so I had most of the important functions on the controller and strange flight controls that would only make sense tor me and my space pedovan.

1 Like

All games ever, I have yet to find any game that was actually better with a controller.

I tried to beat ocarina of time using an emulator with just a keyboard and mouse. It was pretty rough.

1 Like

Racing games. They suck on keyboard+mouse, and aren't much better on controller. That's why my next purchase is going to be a nice racing wheel, pedals, and shifter.

3 Likes

Did any of you swear by any Madcatz products before they went down? I was looking through their website and their products looked badass.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is better with a controller but only if you have a gyroscope for aiming the bow. Using an analogue stick is ridiculous, clunky and stupid. You get used to it after a bit but it doesn't compare to a gyro.

There are also some puzzles you can't get through without it, and you have to emulate it with a mouse. But of course, you only get two axes.

Skyrim, aiming bows is just sad, the experience is just horrible compared to mouse and KB

1 Like

Yep!
I still have a fairly normal Xbox controller. But the edgy design is uncomfortable to hold = Ready Player 2. What I really loved was my R.A.T. 3 mouse.

My friend called it the Batmouse, I liked that name.

Too bad they kept dying and I owned 3 of them before I wised up and realized it was shit. It worked well, but it kept breaking too fast. Most of the RAT's were very expensive with many un-needed features. I wasn't surprised that the company tanked.

If you want to know more...

2 Likes

the witcher 2.
my mouse is playing up so tried to use the controller and the camera rotation is horrendous.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and channel. I've never heard of LGR, this is hilarious! :smile:

1 Like

I love the Lazy Game Reviews YouTube channel.

He is such a funny guy and reports about really weird old hardware (Oddware), old games on old PC's that he played as a kid, going to the thrift store and finding freaky stuff and history of computers companies - some successful, but mostly the failures.

The DS drivers for my PS3 controller are phuqqed. At least i think so. Sometimes disconnects during GTA V on PC. Every 5 seconds or so. It's a piss-off.

Do those touch screen controllers on mobile emulators count? Because if so, every mobile emulation ever.
Else, Mario kart. Tilting the wii remote tilts me.

Body English counts for style points.
I tilt my Xbox controller and lean into it all the time. Even when I realize that I'm doing it and say "What hell the hell do you think you are accomplishing? It's not a Wiimote."

Minecraft. Not enough precision to move the cursor on console or PC

2 Likes

What broke, the sensor, something fixable like a microswitch?