Game server hosting - consumer grade x3D or Epyc/Xeon?

I host ArmA Reforger servers. I was under impression x3D CPUs would be great for hosting a game server, but at least my brief experience with this combination was very unstable. I’m not sure, if it’s ArmA to blame or if it’s consumer x3D CPU.

Many server renting companies push x3D based servers as ideal for hosting game servers. But I was also told on Reddit that consumer CPUs are not ideal for such tasks and instead I should use server grade equivalents.

Since my very unstable x3D experience, I ended up renting Xeon based machines (tried a few before I found configuration on Hetzner I’m satisfied with now) and all of those worked flawlessly.

What are you thoughts?

Consumer hardware should be fine if it isnt garbage tier and you run conservative clocks.

If your machine is unstable running as a server that’s normally a hardware problem. Server workload for game servers is normally less intense than running the game as a player.

It’s highly unlikely that X3D had anything to do with your stability issue.