FX-8320 showing 110.381W?

So I just build a new system after many years. And while attempting to overclock I have noticed a few snags. At higher temps on stock CPU cooler and even at "low" temps with my new Hyper 212 Evo; I see the mhz drop from whatever overclock down to 1500mhz or so.

 

I was curious if my old PSU is an issue. Using an OCZ Modstream 520W which should be PLENTY of power with my crappy videocard... PC is a workstation for school.

 

Anyway, The CPU power is totally flatlined in HWinfo64 at 110.381W And the processor is suppose to use 125W... is this an issue?

Shouldn't it be 125w or even move very little?

 

Tested OC 200x20 for 4GHz - 4088mhz

Prime95 blend

I hit temp 41.8c and clocks dropped to 1431mhz for a second or two but nothing failed on the test.

MSI 760GM-P34

no cool n' quiet

cpu fan locked at 100%

stock 1.3v

8320 and that motherboard, uhhhhh. yeah I would be grabbing a better board for that cpu - there are some reasonably cheap 990fx boards around. Your current board only supports 95w cpu's. Its shear witchcraft that the board hasnt burnt out trying to feed you 8320.

PSU could be still ok. Their old psu's are probably the most reliable things to ever wear an ocz badge thats for sure.

In short, buy a better board asap before things start to fry & die.

No it supports 125tdp and my processor

 

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/760GMA-P34--FX-.html#/?div=CPUSupport

Sorry to say but you should not have an 8320 on a Matx board ever. The 8 series fx cpu's are to power hungry for a small board to handle. There are Matx AM3+ motherboards available but they should really only be used with a fx 4 or 6 series part. I do not recommend using any fx 8 series cpu on any current Matx board ever. 

Guys when the processor is market as 125W that means TDP or thermal design power. In other words it's how many thermal watts of p0wer the chip will produce in 100% load, more watts in tdp means you need better cooling.

often times the tdp is much higher than the actual power consumption. what you are reading is the power consumption as read by the system. I have the FX6350, and it's also a 125W tdp chip, but I've only seen it use a peek of 55W, I don't trust applications to tell me powerconsumption because for the most part it's an estimate. If you want power sonsumption you need to pick up a wall adapter like a kilawatt to be able to see.

as for that mobo,.... Get rid of it. It's not designed to support a power hungry chip like the 8320, upgrade.

cannot fix my edit back ofc.

no this board supports this processor

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/760GMA-P34--FX-.html#/?div=CPUSupport

 

sub-question. Why do I see clock drops??

Yes they are putting the processor on the list, why? not because the board can handle the processor for a long time at great performance levels, but because they want the damn thing to sell. It is on the 760 chip set. That isn't even a "fx" chipset. That's a phenom chipset with a work around msi put in there so it wouldn't crash with a fx processor in there. YOU SHOULD NEVER USE THAT BOARD AND A 8320! If you flipped the board over i guarantee that there would be burn marks where the cpu power delivery system is. The chipset in that board is older than the fx line of processors! It just has a patch on it from MSI that allows it to use them. EVEN THOUGH IT SHOULDN'T!!!

it COULD be...



1. It is getting too hot and is throttling down



2. The chip is not getting enough proper power and is lowering your clocks 



Get a proper board, one of these two would do 



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514




http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4642 

mATX

This is a workstation not a gaming rig. I don't even need the overclock, just want it OC'd a little.

I mean, I have a 8400 GS 512mb graphics card from my NAS in it.

Just need the cores to run virtual machines for school. Would be pretty difficult to fully understand my Server class not being able to set up WS2008R2 and use WDS the other machines.

 

Thanks for the help, on the lookout.

It is my AUX temp.

Before I go on... still waiting on my new fans to show up, so case fan is just one 120 going out the top and the hyper 212 evo blowing up into it. The case is a Xon-560 so I figured it would be OK! for the time being, and half the time the door(s) are off.

 

anyway, the auxiliary temps are pretty high, and with a small house fan blowing into the case the temps are a bit lower... no throttling.

 

Besides the ASUS M5A88 EVO this MSI 760GMA is the best AM3+ mATX board.

So I will see how things go with the 4 Artic Cooling PWM fans... maybe I will throw on a 200/220 door fan too.

Thats odd, on the msi aussie site only cpu's up to 95w are listed.. hmmmm

http://au.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P34--FX-.html#/?div=CPUSupport

***edit***

your link was for the 760GMA not the 760GM as you have in your OP, two very different boards.

The 8 core fx chips require boards with high power delivery, even low end 990fx boards are at the limit of what I would personally deem adequate for running an 8 core fx chip. Your board may even have trouble running a 6 core at full steam.

M5A88-V evo is an ATX board btw not mATX.

deejeta you now have me worried... Do you consider an ASUS M5A99fx Pro R2.0 to be low end? I got it for $135 I thought it was a good deal. I'm actually putting my pc together tonight. I have the 8320 as well.

don't be fooled, that's not an am3+ board, it's a am3 board with a bios update from the factory, they were never designed to handle the high end fx chips, your problem is almost certainly that the cpu power delivery is overheating, the right answer is buying a decent am3+ board, otherwise throw a fan over the vrms and see if it helps

and ghostbuster that's by no-one's definition a low end board, it'll even handle a 9590, I use one as well

Yea, currently I have a small rotating fan locked in one direct blowing on the board.

It def is being pushed to throw he power at it, I cannot run higher than 1.325v to the cpu, will not post.

 

But it dose seem to be running fine with the VRM cooled off. Still gets HOT HOT HOT but I no longer see throttling.

190x22 aka 4.18ghz at 3.13v

prime 95 blend over 50 min, all cores still up and running. CPU no higher than 48.8c but those VRM are HOT 90-97c

I was seeing them 106 then throttled before the fan was ran over the mobo. And keep in mind this is STRESS TESTING!!! idles and does everything else 44-50c

 

Fact is, I do NOT need the power, I need the cores! I only need to run "idling" windows operations on several virtual machines. And the occasional transcoding and shit. This PC is just a tool for school and once I am working in the field I will build a new PC and throw this in my P180 and update my NAS with a cheaper CPU or underclock the shiz out of it.

I understand where you are all coming from, if I knew beforehand these kinds of boards were just updated to ALLOW the FX processors to run I might have gone with a full ATX board. But I wanted a "small" desktop with the power to do some transcoding quickly and help me with school.

 

If you still think this is a bum build let me know, but I think you are missing the point, this is a build to run server OS's and virtual networks. The cores will come as a big help and the all out performance is not an concern of mine. I would have gotten a slower 8-core, but it was on sale cheaper than all the other ones.

besides this thread was about my displayed watts in HWiNFO64; which is totally just a misread data feed. There is no way the watts would be a perfect 110.381W 24/7.

Again, I understand now the limitations of the board. But I do not feel I need to update the system. I am not going to buy a new case and mobo just to be able to overclock more or have it run the vrm cooler. It works and will be totally fine with what I need it to do.

 

just an unemployed your adult going back to online university for a BA in IT. So I needed it cheap. Here is the build... fans still in the mail!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/BobDole2016/saved/3bYy

The M5A99fx Pro R2.0 is a very decent board and fights well above its weight. Its certainly not a 'cheap' one here in oz. Meant the likes of the asrock extreme 3 and that horrid ECS board. 

 

Motherbord overheating chokes, throtteling vrm´s throtteling voltages, speed drops.. you name it. ☺

Buy a decent 990FX chipsetboard. Asus M5A99X evo R2.0 for example. or the Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0.

Fan arrived today. Front intake and top exhausting the hot air with the hyper 212 blowing into the top exhaust.

I then made a direction intake from the rear fan blowing directly onto the VRM's. They now idle at 42c and at load average 84c with a max 90. I may still order some passive heatsinks to slap on them but everything is running just fine. prime 95 for 100min.

The "VRM fan" is linked with the cpu fan, so as the cpu heats up and turns up the speed; the vrm fan follows.

Nobody probably cares, but I just wanted to update...

I made a custom VRM cooler out of an old copper GPU heatsink that goes across all the VRM then has a second block of copper heatsink crazy glued to the heatsink that sticks up between the CPU fans and the rear exhaust... VRM now never goes higher than 83C and the 110w aux reading is an annomoly that gets corrected after waking up from sleep... Runs at 16w min and 36w currently with various apps running and such.

 

board works fine for what it is, down the road this will become a router when I build a real gaming rig. Not going to buy a new case and mobo just for TRUE 8-core support. 

80+ degrees for the mobo vrm´s is basicly way to high, but yeah its at your own risk. ☺