Fun Games that are Timeless: The Anti-AAA (Vol. 1) | Level One Techs

What are these ‘games’ you speak of?

Not sure if there is a better free version (a fork?) or mods, but I installed nxengine-evo (because 16:9 support) via the AUR (note: this didn’t create a menu entry, and the command is nx-evo).

You know what would really be nice? A ‘restart boss battle’ option. Or at least some way to skip cutscenes, or much faster dialogue, SOMETHING. The save points already have annoying placement as it is.

Also not all keys can be properly mapped (enter and end cause crashes for instance) and unfortunately in combination with available controls makes things feel a bit clunky (or maybe just how I have it). Not quite simple platformer (up for jump, one-handed play) and not quite independent looking/shooting (other hand on mouse for aim+firing). Though a mouse mode (just with 4 quadrants) probably wouldn’t be hard to add.

Links to some of the games mentioned in the video:

The Oregon Trail:

The Internet Archive has the MSDOS 1990 release of the game playable on an embedded version of DOSBox.

Rogue:

1983 release, DOSBox version.

A few additional games…

The Oregon Trail Deluxe:

Lode Runner:

(1983 DOS version)

Master of Orion:

(1993, DOSBox)

3 Likes

Unfortunately none of these are really my type of games. Must admit I do need a certain amount of visual appeal. Also one of the reasons I never finished Half Life (the other being that my saves reset like 3 times), but luckily there is Black Mesa.

A list of AAA titles that basically aren’t shit would be nice some day as well :slight_smile:

Portal Stories should be a mod worth looking at. It’s a 100% community made mod available for Portal 2 for sale.

1 Like

The amount of sads I feel right now.

As far as FPS goes, I feel HL is one of those timeless games. Then again, I’m a freak who probably likes it too much lol.

Graphics wasn’t the primary reason why I stopped HL1. The primary reason was that I had to start over 3 or 4 times and the saves were just gone after a while each time, even though steam cloud save was enabled. It just annoyed the hell out of me. I might give it a try again some time, but probably not in the near future.
Then again I’ll probably try Black Mesa instead, from what I hear it’s pretty close to the original.

nope.jpg. at least for us old fogies. It’s good, don’t get me wrong but the spirit of the original did not carry through well.

If you must play Black Mesa, I advise you to wait until they have the last 1/3rd of the game completed. They are missing the Xen levels atm.

just my two cents.

Yeah I read that, was one of the reasons I waited to play it.

I played, Castle Wolfenstein for the Apple II, the most.

1 Like

I think I remember that :slight_smile:

Internet Archive has the MS-DOS version of the game embedded with DOSBOX. It might not be the same as playing the Apple ][ version, but still not a bad way to play the game online.

There are a lot of old PC games that I prefer on the Apple ][ over the MSDOS versions. Like Organ Trail.

If anyone wants to play Zork or any other Z-Machine games on the Linux Terminal just download Frotz (it is most likely in every package manager out there):

http://frotz.sourceforge.net/

and download the games here: http://www.infocom-if.org/downloads/downloads.html

Frotz is even available for Android and iOS.

1 Like

Guy who created Oregon trail was at the 2017 game development conference

heres a screenshot of the original game

I never played it, my fav was luner lander, and it was a hard game. I have no idea what the teletype was connected to but it was probably a PDP-8 or a similar mini-computer. Our teletypes where in the jr high school and the “computer” was in the local university.
The rules were simple:
"YOU ARE LANDING ON THE MOON AND HAVE TAKEN OVER MANUAL
CONTROL 500 FEET ABOVE A GOOD LANDING SPOT. YOU HAVE A
DOWNWARD VELOCITY OF 50 FT/SEC. 120 UNITS OF FUEL REMAIN.

HERE ARE THE RULES THAT GOVERN YOUR SPACE VEHICLE:
(1) AFTER EACH SECOND, THE HEIGHT, VELOCITY, AND REMAINING
FUEL WILL BE REPORTED.
(2) AFTER THE REPORT, A ‘?’ WILL BE TYPED. ENTER THE
NUMBER OF UNITS OF FUEL YOU WISH TO BURN DURING THE
NEXT SECOND. EACH UNIT OF FUEL WILL SLOW YOUR DESCENT
BY 1 FT/SEC.
(3) THE MAXIMUM THRUST OF YOUR ENGINE IS 30 FT/SEC/SEC OR
30 UNITS OF FUEL PER SECOND.
(4) WHEN YOU CONTACT THE LUNAR SURFACE, YOUR DESCENT ENGINE
WILL AUTOMATICALLY CUT OFF AND YOU WILL BE GIVEN A
REPORT OF YOUR LANDING SPEED AND REMAINING FUEL.
(5) IF YOU RUN OUT OF FUEL, THE ‘?’ WILL NO LONGER APPEAR,
BUT YOUR SECOND BY SECOND REPORT WILL CONTINUE UNTIL
YOU CONTACT THE LUNAR SURFACE."
It took weeks for me to finally land that sucker, usually the game would end with “you created a new crater x feet deep” or something like that :slight_smile:

goes into the specs, amazing what people could do on 12kb, 8 for system and 4 for users.
I also played Star Trek but it was not as engaging as Lander was

Images are not mine, we didn’t have cell phones yet, found this wounderful article that brought me back a few years :slight_smile:

sorry the post was so long, didn’t realize till i hit “send”

2 Likes

I do not feel so old now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Telengard

M.U.L.E.

I still keep a xp rig just to run armada 1 and 2 and a few other games they are some of my favorite games.

Armada 2 has been modded into FleetOps which runs on Windows 10.
You need your original CD in order to verify that you own the game.

So, who else polymorphed their pet into a succubus in nethack?

I noticed not that many folks clicked the links to play these archived games or at least give them a shot. So, I just f-it and made a short video on Rouge if you prefer to just watch and listen.

2 Likes

Here’s a few more:

The Marathon Trilogy:

https://alephone.lhowon.org/

This is one of the earliest series that Bungie developed. The Marathon series are Doom inspired FPS games that were designed exclusively for the Mac. Bungie made this series open source and free quite a few years ago. Aleph One is an opensource engine port of the Marathon 2 game engine. It works for Mac, Windows and Linux and all three games can be downloaded for free at the site.

HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy Text Adventure:

Not DOSBOX this time, it is on an embedded Macintosh Emulator.