Full timeshift restore?

So I know timeshift isn’t meant for restoring everything but is it possible?

My Drive died and I have timeshift backing up everything in root/home and I’d really really like to just restore it if possible on a new install on a new drive.

I’ve spent all day trying to get it to work and the closest I got was getting it to boot into my login screen before out right crashing.

I have no clue what my partitions were either. Just the default of fedora 30… am I just wasting time?

Thanks.

I’m using fedora 32.

It depends on how you set up your backups in timeshift.

You can set timeshift to backup all your partitions, so not sure if you did that.

What I would suggest is just install the base install of fedora 32 on a new drive, then try and recover using timeshift. At the very least it should have all your settings etc stored, but most likely it will have all the important stuff.

I’d make it the exact same version you were running just to make sure you don’t run into weird problems.

So what I did to get it to some what work the first time was just install fedora 32 like you said then try. It doesn’t auto fill in anything so I just set it to restore root and home manually and it will get you to the log in screen before crashing when you log in.

There was also a bunch of swap errors.

I don’t think i backed up every partition, just home and root.

yea, I’d just restore home, might be a problem if you install root since you’ll probably run into weird dep issues.

You can just install all your old programs after.

I set my timeshift to backup all my drives so hopefully I can restore if / when something craps in my cheerios

edit:

what’s cool about dot files is the settings are there so when you install your programs they will just magically work how you configured them. I’ve done manual home restores before and it’s a life saver

The reason you’re having issues with login is because when you installed Fedora again, your fstab in your back up is different from the new fstab generated from the install, along with acouple other files.

What you could do is, get a Live image of Fedora, and mount your back up. Partition you new drive with gparted, then send your backup to the new drive you can use rsync to transfer the files over to the new partition.

This way it’s “like” a clone of your old install.