Fresh install of Ubuntu keeps crashing after booting

I can’t get a fresh install of Ubuntu to work on a Fujitsu Esprimo e910. Using a USB installation media, I installed Ubuntu to a SATA III SSD and the installation process went as usual. After the installation is done, it asks me to reboot. But one or two seconds after the Ubuntu Desktop comes up on screen it crashes and boots again and the same thing will repeat itself for ever. I have the latest bios. I found out, that the problem must have something to do with the displays. The machine has DVI and display port. If I plug in a second monitor into the DisplayPort within the second Ubuntu comes up, it wont crash! If I have it plugged in before I turn on the machine, It wont boot. I remember, that the whole problem started after I first plugged in the second monitor. But after that, I have re-installed Ubuntu and the problem persists.

Are you using an igpu or a discreet gpu? Does your system have both? If so, which port goes to which?

If you have an nVidia, did you install the proprietary drivers yet?

not an answer but typically for this exact reason, one of the first things I do on new Linux installs such as Ubuntu (desktop) is to enable log messages on boot so you can see the errors that are happening

if you can get the system to boot successfully long enough to enable this, it should help you figure out the error on future boots that fail since you’ll be able to see the error logs in real time. Might need to keep your phone camera handy though to snap a photo before the messages vanish tho

I have no graphics card installed. The CPU (Intel Core i5 3570) comes with Intel HD Graphics 2500. I found no linux drivers for that, just the information that the drivers are build into the linux kernel…

They are built into the kernel. Well now that we have ruled out nVidia, can you look in your uEFI to see if you are able to force output on a specific port?

Also, do you kmow if by chance the DE is using Waylabd or X? Have you tried switching them at the greeter to ser if there is any difference?

Also, what DE are you using? Kde?, Gnome Shell? A window manager?

Here are all the options to choose from in my bios:
Primary Display
*Auto
-IGD
-PEG
-PCI
Internal Graphics
*Auto
-Disabled
-Enabled
IGD Memory
*32M
-a ton of of Option aup to 1024M
DVMT/FIXED Memoty
*256M

I don’t exactly know what you mean by force output on a specific port

To the best of my knowledge Ubuntu 22.04.2 comes with GNOME 42 and Wayland and I have not changed any of that.

This ist what I get for ispct -k | grep -EA3 ‘VGA| 3d|Display’:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller:
intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Subsystem: Fujitsu Technology Solutions Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Kernel modules: i915
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Sertes Chipset Family USB XHCI Host Controller (rev 04)

Ah, this is server parts.
On some of the Intel consumer gear, you can force DP or HDMI of VGA/DVI.

So you can set your internal graphics to enabled. That may help.

Also since you are using Ubuntu, you may want to chroot and run update-initramfs -k all -u -v after the install is done. This will ensure that you initcpio or initramfs has the required modules to boot your iGPU.

Also, check the fstab to ensure that Ubuntu is not trying to load your rootfs from the USB stick.