FreeNas vs Unraid vs Openmediavault vs NAS4FREE

Hello sir/madam,

I’m looking to create a NAS that I can share online and access from LAN. I have been hearing people using FreeNAS(Wendell, DIYtryin), Unraid(LTT), ZFS(wendell) and then the others mentioned on forums. I feel like there are alot more and I would like to know what is good for my small effort.

Plan:
100TB+
Multimedia, videos, photos,
Coding, live filetransfer
extendable, hotswapping
40Gbps, 10Gbps+ network supported
Online 24/7
multiuser, to access files and read/write support for +30 accounts

I hope there is a solution. I have thought of Freenas and have it ready.

1 Like

Are the thirty accounts accessing over LAN or Internet?
With Freenas have to think about the disk setup.
What size are the drives you are planning on using?
Are you wanting these accounts to be able to access video files directly or use something like PLEX?
If you go the PLEX route and lots of people accesing content at a time than gonna need a somewhat beefy cpu.
Also for optimal performance may need 64gb of RAM.

I thought about 10TB HDDs. I don’t know what plex is. Over internet, internet connection about 1Gbps. 1-5 over lan.

Ok so you wont need a beefy cpu if they client can handle the video in its native format.
Freenas has plenty of support for Mellanox and Chelsio 10gbe cards so no worries there.
Do you want server connected to a switch that supports a 10gbe connection and everyone on LAN connects at 1gbe? Just a thought cause if you want everyone at 10gbe than need a pricey switch and obviously 10gbe cards in each pc.
Do you want separate pools for the multimedia and another one for coding/backups?
I ask cause I am trying to help with pool disk arrangement?
Probably need a HBA card to support 10 drives unless you already have a board and platform picked out.
May want to stick with Intel for now cause not sure of stability on FreeBSD for Ryzen yet.

You could assume that I’m a noob in this type of category. I’m upgrading for the whole lan. Infrastructure for now: https://imgur.com/a/lDp156H I thought of directly saving the file from recordings to the NAS.

I thought of going for a cheap zen Athlon or R3

ZFS is a filesystem, not a NAS operating system
OMV is short for Openmediavault
Nas4free and FreeNAS are very similar, almost interchangeable in some cases.

Nas4free and FreeNas both use ZFS exclusively. OMV can use EXT4, XFS, BTRFS, ZFS. Unraid is XFS and BTRFS.

Unraid has the benefit of having support, but you do have to pay for it. FreeNas/Nas4Free has the best ZFS support. OMV has the most flexibly with filesystems, plugins and extra programs as it is built on Debian.

4 Likes

What router are you using?
I am not a fan of putting the server in a DMZ. Then you have to worry about staying on top of keeping server secure and such.
Need to figure out what services you want to be accessible over the internet. May need to look into whoever wants access possibly setting up a VPN for them to be able to access the server on a certain LAN so they cannot access the rest of your devices. May not want to expose much of the server to the internet without a VPN or such.

For now a buffalo whr-g300n, later on pfsense.
The server shall not be connected to the NAS, as the workgroup on the server have no authorization to access files from the other workgroups from the Nas.

oh ok this is for the NAS my bad.

Could this do for the pfsense router?

It will get you by when paired with a dual gigabit nic. Don’t expect to achieve full gigabit throughput.

Is there any xeon processor that could deliver full, because that router needs to be powerful enough to deliver a ton of data to visitors. Because of future traffic.

I would say look for higher clock speed quad core Xeon with aes-ni. That should get you the throughput you need. 4gb of ram of also.

1 Like

is aes-ni really written like that? Oh well, found what you ment: Intel® AES New Instructions
I’ll look into that, what will it do?

When pfsense 2.5 is released basically it will only run on chips with Aes-Ni supported. Just looking out for ya for the long haul.
Also puts the decryption/encryption stuff onto the hardware acceleration side of chip instead of software.

1 Like

Could this work:

2 cpus with AES

Super overkill for a pfsense box but I say go for it

I thought maybe to use this instead on my server as capacity on my temporary server was coming to close.

I’ll be looking something else for the router.

If you’re thinking of going the Unraid route, you should check out Proxmox and ESXi. They are both capable OS’s and will provide enough expansion that it will grow with your infrastructure. Proxmox supports ZFS as well, along with other native linux file systems.

3 Likes

Isn’t proxmox just for virtualization and email servers?