FreeNAS (Linux) share permissions

So i am a Windows guy for the most part and every time i try to get into Linux i find some problem or another that keeps me from becoming a full adopter. So my news year resolution is to try and ask the questions and issues i have and see if i cant get more familiar with it. So first topic up
that i can never seem to get my head around: Who owns a folder share? In FreeNas i am trying to setup a share folder for my media. Its defaulting to Root as the owner. Is that right? Do i choose or create something else? This is going to be a general share location that many people will get to so does anyone really “own” it? When i google best practices i see people answering the question with the question of who owns it, in a general folder no one would so is noone my answer? I would still need accounts so this is not a guest share.

This is going to be a general share location that many people will get to so does anyone really “own” it?

Yes, a group owns it. File/directory permissions are dictated by user:group ownership.

When i google best practices i see people answering the question with the question of who owns it, in a general folder no one would so is noone my answer?

No, you should create a group for this. In more advanced scenarios, you would want to bind this to an LDAP/AD group.

1 Like

It should not be owned by root but you can create a single user that everyone has access to so it doesn’t need to be complicated.

Keep it simple for your first user and group permissions. Create a new user called ‘fantomuser’ or whatever. Create a group called ‘Fantomgroup’ or whatever.

Add fantomuser to Fantomgroup then set the owner of your new share to be Fantomgroup.

On each SMB shared device then the user’s login as fantomuser to access the share. Freenas allows multiple concurrent logins.

If you want to audit access then add more users to the Fantomgroup

If you want to restrict access then add more groups with access to different shares

Make sense?