Freenas Lagg with Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I340-T4

Trying to get LACP working on my Freenas server with Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I340-T4 and the interfaces won’t show up as options to add to the LAGG I am creating. My server has the Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I340-T4 and one integrated broadcom gig ethernet port for management. The Managed switch supports LACP and is easy to set up there but the only interface that shows up is the integrated broadcom in the choose lagg interface options. The broadcom nic is the only one configured with DHCP and the rest on static as you can only have one nic use DHCP. Could anyone offer any suggestions please?

Try removing the addressing from the nics that you want to bond. They need to be unused.

2 Likes

I’d love to know if this ends up working. When I faced the same situation with the same Nic I ended up using software defined link aggregation.

That worked, but I would have preferred to have it defined on the router.

Afaik, all link aggregation in FreeNAS will be in software. I think using device drivers for aspects of the network stack above layer 2 is more of a Windows thing where Linux and BSD choose to handle it themselves. I could be wrong though.

Well, it was so long ago I can’t remember exactly how I tried to set this particular thing up.

At first I was trying to do the standard “fail-over cluster” configuration where you combine iSCSI, Management Interface, etc using a Cisco LAG, but then the machine I was going to use for the storage got some sort of firmware virus and I wasn’t ok with putting quality storage in it and proceeding to rely on it. Add to that that the support I was getting from Cisco documentation was great for everything except this one feature, so figuring out what I was doing wrong wasn’t getting me anywhere and I didn’t have more time to spend on it.

I’d kinda just like to see someone actually succeed at it, lol, and see how they use it. It can be used for a few different kinds of things, as I understand it. That’s cool that Linux does that too, I did not know that.

Rock on! That worked. Thanks for the assist!

3 Likes