FreeNAS failed disk

Good to hear it. I’m pretty sure it had everything to do with the fact that you rekeyed the pool while the disk you were resilvering was onlined as opposed to being offline. Glad you got it all squared away. Now think about expanding and migrating your pool.

Side Note, If you do migrate and expand, maybe think about running a raidz2 pool for more redundancy. This is especially true if you’re running an encrypted array whereas it will have a greater fault tolerance while dealing with weird replace/resilver issues like this.

1 Like

Well, here I am replacing another failed disk. And just like before, it isn’t going smoothly. At all. I can’t believe this process is this difficult. It’s like every time I do this something’s different and it acts differently.

So, I offlined the failed disk, and removed it physically from the system. I slid in the new drive, hit replace, and chose the new drive. This is what I get:

What

huh, if it failed with that DD command, looks like it wants to clear it before formatting it into the group.

I would see if I could format that disk / set up something to ensure the new disk works, and is ready to be modified?

just in case it is in read only mode or something?

I have no idea what it’s trying to do. Somehow it decided to go ahead and use the disk as a replacement. It was resilvering for a while, and when I came back to look at it I was greeted with this:

I don’t know how to tell if the disk in read only mode. I can run the dd command when I ssh into the box. Doesn’t help, though, get the same error.

This is what I get when I ssh into the server:

Screenshot%20from%202019-08-11%2017-14-59

I just noticed it throws an input/output error?

I think I got a bad drive.

Bought it off amazon a year or so ago, still sealed in the anti static bag. Probably got sold a used drive that they modified the smart data on.

Aaand, after checking the smart data for all eight drives, every one has outrageously high raw read error and seek error rates. Does this mean the drives are all bad? Or is there something wrong with the controller card or system itself?