FreeNAS build

i want the less deep version but havent seen one for a price i am willing to pay

1 Like

Sounds like itā€¦running everything on one box saves a lot of power and I only have to buy one 10Gb card since I can connect all my VMs together with 10Gb networking virtually.

I know for business production it is a horrible idea, but I figure the server is running a homeā€¦not a business. For critical systems like security and data protection, I have layers of security and backups. Even if the server died and took out every drive it has, I would just order another eBay server and restore my backup. Meanwhile if necessary, I can always pull my R410 or R510 out of my lab and run PFsense on it until I get the new server online.

They probably didnt sell very well and had a fuck ton of them

1 Like

Disclaimerā€¦ havent read most of threadā€¦

Id give something like this a lookā€¦ if you arent against rackmount/noise

You like LT builds too? (your avatar)- I have a mid travel taco

One box to do it all was my early goal, but it does compromise reliability. I didnā€™t even setup it up right (the FreeNAS VM is not on redundant storage). If done kind-of right you have ESXi on a USB (with a backup), boot order to have the FreeNAS boot first, then other VMs that use storage from the FreeNAS to boot later/delayed. Mine is not that well sorted.

1 Like

Currently donā€™t have a rig but yes I do quite enjoy going fast offroad haha

I donā€™t have ESXI on USB flash only because there is only one internal USB port or SD card optional board on the 710. I am running VMs on 2 SSDs in a mirror array which is controlled by a battery backed H700 controller in the internal storage slot. Data is stored on FreeNAS and I just have one iSCSI drive that has all my ISO squirrel stash.

Iā€™m actually considering switching to Proxmox though. It has built in ZFS support, is based on an open source platform, and I have some experience with Debianā€¦ but more overā€¦I have a feeling that the next ESXI release is going to completely drop support for Westmere Xeons :frowning:

1 Like

I fully agree with this. I too was thinking about doing a one box does all approach early on ( Think ā€œStoveinkeratorā€). However, Iā€™ve come to find that dedicated appliances are the best way to go.

2 Likes

I tried proxmox first but I took advice from a work architect to heart, run Enterprise when possible for resume and skill building. If this is not an issue for u there is so much awesome open source stuff out there. Iā€™m tempted to go all open source at home but that advise has been solid.

1 Like

If you just look at up time for individual services sure. But dedicated appliances substantially increase cost of both operation and initial investmentā€¦ Like I said, main reason I went with one box is this is just a home server and Iā€™m mostly trying to keep power consumption under control. I have enough spare parts that if something went horribly wrong, chances are I can just go and fix it.

As far as reliability, the FreeNAS VM Iā€™ve been using has been operational since June 2018 (with the exception of software or hardware upgrades). Only had one issue that took the server down due to a borked PCIe card. I now test hardware for at least 3-4 days in a lab unit before it goes in the server. One big advantage of running everything in a VM is the ability to add resources to them, migrate them, back them up, and take or apply snapshots.

If I do have to take the server down, it would just be for cleaning. On that noteā€¦ server rack maintenance only takes about 15-20 minutes since there is only one server to blow out.

1 Like

I appreciate the upfront costs(believe me) and server maintenance time, as much as anyone else. However, up-time and reliability are of paramount importance to me, so I have chosen to indulge in that realm, as opposed to a single server model. In all fairness, to each his own.

1 Like

Im still aiming to do a desktop style server. I will cool it using Noctua fans. I have found a couple of decent cases I think.

These are some boards that will fit the Supermicro case that seem halfway decent:

And a couple good looking boards that would fit the Silverstone:

Some CPU options:

Youā€™re building a freenas mini. Did you see the HPE Microservers?

LabGopher is an ebay scrubber if you want to find decent deals on used servers. Recommend if youā€™re looking for Dell R510/710/720xd

If youā€™re wanting something modern, then this isnā€™t a bad choice either:

I got a wishlist sitting at around $1230 for a freenas mini type build, but reducing the ram from 64gb to 32gb would put it at 1000. Would require jigging a fan on the heatsink though, or buying the supermicro active heatsink found on the higherend version of this board

1 Like

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1240 V6 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($293.78 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($201.98 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: Kingston - ValueRAM 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: Kingston - ValueRAM 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($199.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($199.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone - CS380 ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.81 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Titanium 650 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($177.81 @ Amazon)
Total: $3085.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-27 11:56 EST-0500

IMO fewer higher capacity drives would almost always be betterā€¦unless there is a need for 8 drives for your array. I made the mistake of filling my NAS with lower capacity drives and have regret it ever since. Less future expansion capability and more power consumptionā€¦ you donā€™t necessarily have to get the highest capacity, you could go for six 8TB WD drives which are almost the same price per TB. This would give you at least 2 extra slots for future expansion of storage or even L2ARC or ZIL drives.

If you go with the freenas mini case, thereā€™s a place to put at least 1 SSD on the side of the drive cage. You also typically use a SataDOM for the OS.

Also, this looks like a good NAS board, imo.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/atom/A2SDi-8C_-HLN4F.cfm

it says there are 12 sata connectors but i only see like 4

mini-SAS connectors on board break out to 4 SATA connectors with a cable (the 2 ports next to the USB port)

2 Likes