FreeNAS build

I have a newegg and amazon store card. Would prefer if possible to go that route. As opposed to putting it on my normal Credit Card.

why? what advantage does that give you? Also you shouldnt but this and put it on credit unless you are paying it off right away.

my store cards give me 6-12 months 0% APR? My regular credit card does not. I usually pay it all off within a few paychecks.

Just save it up then and get used on ebay will be way cheaper then amazon / newegg

2 Likes

well my current quandry is that I dont have a RAID setup. Just an LVM on my current A8-3850K server. I could just get the drives and HBA until I upgrade.

not bad not amazing (32gb ecc limitation but otherwise good)

Add SPF+ nic and a gpu for during set up and boom done. well more ram so a bit more

1 Like

And the Jet engine sound?

Pop the top put a traditional cooler on the cpu and run it without the lid turn fans on drives to lower rpm? Put in closet not close to people is alternative

1 Like

The fans are pretty loud at any rpm, but you can mod/replace them.

In my experience, the best value for used servers is to get a Xeon 5500/5600 compatible system (thatā€™s X8 for Supermicro), and add in a 5600 chip to get AES-NI/better performance. I have several systems with dual X5675ā€™s which could easily chew through a few transcoding streams. They also have 12 dimm slots, so your RAM options are pretty flexible.

That said, Westmereā€™s are pretty old, so you would be buying into a somewhat antiquated platform. But if AES-NI is your cutoff, thatā€™s as far back as you can go to save money.

1 Like

HP Microservers are super popular, how many drives are you looking at?

1 Like

Why SAS? Seems like overkill for the use case, but if you just want to experiment with multipath and other SAS things, i understand.

If cost is a concern though, SAS drives will definitely take resources away from the rest of the buildā€¦

1 Like

Been looking for a rack mount FreeNAS build and IMO Iā€™ve been barking up the wrong tree (looking at r710s with two CPUs, RAID not flashable to IT mode etc) - your link looks perfect- one CPU, 3.5" drive bays, I assume it gets past the 2TB per drive limitation and is strait sata to MB, no HW Raid in the way correct? Added to my watch list- my wallet will hate you.

1 Like

If you find a good deal on an R710, just an FYI you can either use an H200 HBA in the internal slot or use an HBA of your choice on any of the other slots. Since the LGA1366 is getting pretty old, it is very very cheap. Currently I have an R710 that runs my house. I have FreeNAS, PFsense, and a NVR VMs in ESXI. With six 3.5" spindle drives, two 2.5" SSDs, one 4 port Intel 1Gb NIC and one Intel 10Gb NIC, it sits at about 200W power consumption.

1 Like

yeah its just straight sata form what i can tell on the board

1 Like

Sounds like we are kind of doing the same thing, a one box does all. I currently have an old z800 esxi, freenas virtualized with onboard lsi flashed to IT mode and passed through to VM, Plex, splunk, was hosting reolinkā€™s win client but wanted the full feature set of their nvr, win10 is now physicalized to give me a work station right below the rack.

I want to bare metal my freenas now, and use iscsi for the VMs on the z800. Maybe even pull a cpu off of the z800 as well, save on power (not running a lot of VMs)

1 Like

Looks like it has a SAS backplane according appendix A of the chassis manual.

I would definitely confirm 2TB+ drive support. It supports a floppy drive which isnā€™t promisingā€¦

Good news is you can get any old LSI HBA and plug the backplane into it for good FreeNAS support.

I run my vms in another box the freenas box is stand alone for me

Can always swap the backplanes for sata only ones. (doubt the mobo only supports 2tb or less drives its not that old e3 v3

1 Like

Yeah, the motherboard is surprisingly new for that chassis.

This is the backplane youā€™d probably want, but Iā€™d double check form factor compatibility with that chassis.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BPN-SAS2-826EL1-Supermicro-2U-12-Bay-SAS-SATA-3-5-HDD-Backplane-for-6027R/182861847291?epid=2254569496&hash=item2a936a5afb:g:n8EAAOSw3G9bkt8Z:rk:2:pf:0

Nevermind, that wonā€™t work. The chassis a for 8 hot swap drives, not 12. Had to make room for that floppy drive I guess.

Thatā€™s a very odd chassis sku. It looks like it was originally made for AMD boards (H8) circa 2010 and then reused for Intel boards about 5 years later (X10). That explains the floppy drives and first-gen SAS backplane. I wonder if they needed to burn extra units because of low AMD demand.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/2U/825/SC825TQ-563LPB

1 Like

Iā€™ve had my eye on one of these. Probably overkill in your case, but I donā€™t think you could find a lower price for 45 bays. The only thing I am unsure of is 2TB+ support in the SansDigital AC-SAN-5PMBP/SYBA SY-PEX40008.

Also, itā€™s only SATAII, no SAS.

Oh, the RAID cards only support up to 1TB drives. You could probably swap them out for something else though.