Freenas 9.3, how to get both desktop PC's to fully access Freenas drive

" Port 1
IP: 192.168.1.1/31
To PC: 192.168.1.2/31
Port 2
IP: 192.168.1.3/31
To PC: 192.168.1.4/31"

Doesn't work because it gives the error message of " Sorry, but this ip address is already in use by another NIC"...because you're still dealing with both or all ports being on the same subnet which Freenas , so far, doesn't allow.

That's odd, this should work since it's actually on a different subnet (/31 which allows two usable address).

Well, time to call the linux king @wendell. (I know freenas isn't linux, btw... :D)

From what I understand about networking, If pc 1 is 10.0.0.5 and pc2 is 10.0.0.9 they are on the same subnet of 255.0.0.0

If pc1 is 172.16.0.9 and pc2 is 10.0.0.5, they are not on the same subnet as 172.16.0.9 is 255.240.0.0 and 10.0.0.5 is subnet of 255.0.0.0

I also wonder if it's easier to just install Pfsense and figure how how to make that Operating System " see" the 5TB hdd as a NAS and try to get both desktops to be able to xfer files to and from it that way. I started this journey off with that in mind.

I"ll try your quote suggestion one more time. perhaps I did something wrong before.

...wait a minute, are you saying that you want more than 1 system to access freenas right? If so, why don't just set one port active, connect it to your switch, connect the systems to the switch?

(facepalm)..YES. that's what I've said since the beginning of my cry for help.lol.

I don't have just a switch. However, i have that router. So you're saying I should connect from the " active" port of the 4port nic I set as active in the Freenas gui settings page from that to the WAN port on the router?

Or should the connection to the router be to one of the other 4 regular ports?

Please remember, I don't want to use DHCP though for any physical connections. I'm keeping that setting on the wireless internet since I have no choice about that.

I have Freenas installed fresh and currently have my router connected in the loop.

Each desktop pc is connected to a regular ethernet port on the router. The freenas pc is connected the same way to the router.

Currently the router is set to be a DHCP server with available ip addresses from 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.15

My pc is 10.0.0.9 with DNS of 10.0.0.1
Wife's pc is 10.0.0.5 with same DNS as my pc

10.0.0.1 will let me access my router's gui settings page. Trying now to figure how what ip address to set on one of the 4 ports to let me access the freenas's settings page.

1 Like

Dammit, now I can't even access the freenas's settings page. I don't know what ip address to set it to under " Configure network Interfaces" for the url. -_-

Adding the router in the mix just confused me more.

Ok, then it's simple, your over complicating it, just connect the switch to the freenas machine (make sure that you have enough usable addresses in this space) and connect anything else via switch e.g. pc's. You do not need a router for this, go rip that sucker out.

If what I'm understanding this correctly you have a wireless network that is out of your control, and you want to access the freenas machine with more than one system. It may be ghetto but your gonna have to switch between networks since the router that is connected to the "cloud" is out of your control. This would be a much simpler setup if you had but unfortunately your gonna have to live with this.

You keep telling me I'm overcomplicating it, but there are some instructions you haven't even given me.

If I can connect physically directly to the freenas with my pc and access the 5TB hdd over 1Gbps network...there is no reason why my wife's pc should not be able to do the same thing.

With the router connected between our pc's and the freenass pc, I can't even access the freenas's settings page because I don't know how to set up that ip address for the freenas in this case.

I've tried using every ip address ranging from 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.15 with the correct netmask number's and tried all of those ip address while plugging the ethernet cord from the router to EACH of all four ports on the nic of the freenas.

If I was overcomplicating this, I would have finally stumbled upon the correct ip address + which of port of the 4 port nic I should connect the cord from the router to...

So...screw it. I"m done. This bs is too complicated and I"m late getting to sleep for work tomorrow anyways. -_-

What instructions? It's rather simple of what I just said, maybe you should explain your case better, maybe with a network topology so we know what's going on as "1Gbps network" tells me nothing.

The reason why I'm saying your over complicating it is in fact you are overcomplicating it...

You do not need a router as you have no control over the wifi network, so why bother creating another network where it's plug and play with switch? I was trying to make it easier for you.

You only need one with a switch, create an address space on one port (disable the rest) and connect the switch, this way it will work.

...this is what I mean, your over complicating this.

I'm sorry that your having a hard time with this but I'm doing what I can to help you here, I just need you to step back and understand your situation.

If I understand correctly, it sounds like you were trying to statically assign an IP from within the range you assigned to your DHCP server, which won't work. You need to choose a static IP which is within the same subnet as the rest of your LAN, but outside the DHCP range.

Unless you've bridged together your ports in FreeNAS, you need to use the port which you're assigning the IP to. (This is in contrast to the four LAN ports on your home router, which are natively bridged in hardware.) On every Intel NIC I've used, port 0 is going to be the one farthest from the slot.

1 Like

If you don't even know what the term " 1 Gbps network" means, then you obviously don't know as much as you're acting. 1Gbps means one gigabit per second. How difficult is that to understand? You have two or more computers that are connected someone using cat5e or better cables to each other through whatever means to create a 1Gbps network. Jesus that's basically networking 101 these days.

I DON'T have a separate switch. The only switch I have is built into my router.

I do understand my situation. Jesus. I'm specifying everything in existence that I can see and think of here.

Telling me I'm overcomplicating things instead of actually recommending specifics of a setup does not help.

Did I not specify that this was my first time using Freenas? I figured with the problem I have explained over and over that would be evident. So excuse me for asking specific questions to learn what I'm doing wrong.

" Create an address space on one port ( disable the rest) and connect the switch, this way it will work"

I don't understand what " create an address space on one port " means. Is that simply assigning an ip address to a port? If so, I've BEEN doing that. If no, then I don't know what to tell ya.

"Unless you've bridged together your ports in FreeNAS, you need to use the port which you're assigning the IP to. (This is in contrast to the four LAN ports on your home router, which are natively bridged in hardware.) On every Intel NIC I've used, port 0 is going to be the one farthest from the slot."

Ok I didn't know ports in a router were natively bridged hardware. No one ever told me that before. Well this Intel nic's "em0" is the one closest to the pci express slot and motherboard.

"You need to choose a static IP which is within the same subnet as the rest of your LAN, but outside the DHCP range" ok. If i'm not even using DHCP, how is that possible?

Again, it means nothing since all I know is that it's a 1Gbps network, no port related identifiers, no medium connections, so you wonder why I asked that, going by 1Gbps network is like saying this is an apple, but you don't tell what kind of apple it is. I have networking degrees, so please don't patronize me.

What I meant, is by (I thought you would get it but apparently not) assigning and address on the one interface with enough usable addresses like 192.168.4.0/24.

Now back on track.

This information is new, does it have a switch mode that we can use?

DHCP just assigns an address to devices who request it, addresses in it's pool. You can assign static addresses outside of this pool.

Now can we move along? I really want to help you, but your making it difficult.

Just do us both a favor and don't reply anymore about this topic. It's obvious you're more interested in just arguing.

1Gbps network coming from a networking noob like myself SHOULD obviously just simply telling you " there's one pc +cat5e or better ethernet cord ...connected to in SIMPLE ways ...- another pc and both pc's have 1Gbps ethernet port.

HOW....DAMN....HARD....IS....THAT...TO...UNDERSTAND? Jesus..chris even my 66 year old mother understand that and she's a complete pc noob.

You kept saying I'm overcomplicating things but then you talk to me in UNthorough ways not mentioning SIMPLE resolutions. Talk about hypocritical, well done.

I'm done talking to you. Don't reply. Convo is over.

Now can someone please just tell me in THOROUGH detail how I can transfer files to and from both Win 10 pc's that are both connected to the same 4 port intel nic of the Freenas box ....HOW this can be done, possibly without a router or switch in the middle to keep things simple? Christ, that was all I was trying to do to begin with.

I didn't come here to argue or to have @ssholes rub higher networking knowledge in my face with comments like " why are you overcomplicating this?" over and over. You don't help someone by conversationally bragging and rubbing something in his face that he doesn't yet understand.

Is it possible to get in touch with Wendell or Qain about this? I just wanted some help. Or I am not smart enough for to be considered to be granted that help?

Here's an example:
On FreeNAS:

• Configure em0 with an IP address 10.0.1.2/24
  • Configure em1 with an IP address 10.0.2.2/24 and note that this is in a different subnet than em0. (explanation)
  • Ensure that samba is enabled and running.
  • Ensure that samba is listening on all interfaces. It probably is by default.

On desktop 1:

• Configure your NIC with an IP address of 10.0.1.3/24
  • Connect the NIC to em0 on FreeNAS.
  • Ensure that network discovery and file sharing are enabled.

On desktop 2:

• Configure your NIC with an IP address of 10.0.2.3/24
  • Connect the NIC to em1 on FreeNAS.
  • Ensure that network discovery and file sharing are enabled.

At this point, both desktops should be able to see the file share.

Fine, enjoy your ignorance, have a nice day!