Freenas 10

So i have a freenas 9 box. That i have been having for a long time.

I just use it for plex and movie storage. i also run alot of VMs for diffrent projekts.

Right now im having alot of problems with my VMs right now. They are shutting down on odd times and that is a big problem for me.

So my question is: Is it safe to switch to Freenas 10-beta?

The docker containers seem like a good solution.
I would not like to build a new machine just to run my VMs in a stabil environment.

Thanks for any feedback.

/dinez

Although it is not recommended have you considered running ESXi (or similar) and then run FreeNAS as a Virtual Machine? I know there are die hards out there that will swear against this but it is entirely possible to do and to do safely, provided you do it the right way.

Test it out in a VM on your desktop. Make sure that there aren't any glaring issues, and if there aren't, go ahead and give it a go.

It's not like it will ruin your zpool, ZFS is stable, the only thing that isn't 100% yet is the freenas part.

@IRAGEDandQUIT I wouldn't do that because you've literally thrown away all the benefits of freenas over OpenMediaVault.

........ uuuuuuhhhh

............ uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh

No.

5 Likes

/thread

Hahaha i know! Stupid question!

Not safe but what i was looking for is will my computer and zfs volumes burn😝

//dinez

Yea that is a good idé! I was mostly afraid for my zfs pool. But I will try it on my main computer just to see i like it.

IF I make the 10 install on a new usb. Do you think that i can just plug in the old one if 10 crashes?

I dont know how freenas likes that.

//dinez

So im trying to install freenas 10 in a virutal machine. and i cant seem to get it to work. i only get errors when i try to install it.

When i try to boot via UEFI

When i try to boot via Bios

I have tried to change all the tings in the settings. now i dont know how to go from here....

i have tried on install in both Vmware and Virutal box and i get the same error.

Hope someone have a good ide for me to try :)

//dinez

Have you tried installing FreeNAS 9 on a VM?

Yes it works. but then when i try to install 10, via upgrade i get the error of the password being changed. and i cant seem to log on. i have found that it is a error from the upgrade.

and if i try to format it i get the same error as a fresh install.

so i will try to get another hardrive for one of my other computers and try it that way:)

Thanks for all the help anyway

Freenas 10 for upgrade is very very not ready. They also just broke docker in Freenas 10.

The vbox VMs in 9 broke also because of updates to freebsd without corresponding updates to the vbox jail. So you have to roll back freenas 9 to fix your vbox jail :-\

Kinda sucks tbh.

1 Like

If you need help with freenas I would recommand the freenas IRC channel.

1 Like

What's your VM configuration? I had no problem installing it in proxmox. I'll try vbox right now though.

I have tried to install it with linux 2.6 - 4.0+. is there another one that i should use? in VMware i have tried to install it to the same and also letting VMware choose for me when i mount the iso.

@wendell So the docker is broken:( then that will not solve my problem it will only make it worse (super sad face)

How far do i have to rollback? to 9.3 or even further?

Thansk for all the feedback now i will go and break my server:P

//dinez

I used Linux 4.0+ on proxmox, but the thing is that all the solutions use different nuanced settings. I wasn't able to get it to install on VIrtualBox either, so I'm thinking you're SOL.

At this point, I think FreeNAS 10 is not ready for deployment even in testing.

This leaves freenas in a frustrating state of the current version being behind the times, but the new version still being a ways out.

Just so you know, I got it to install in virtualbox by just ignoring the errors and letting it sit for a while. You may want to try the same.

I went to lunch and when I came back, it was complete, so I'm not 100% sure how long it took. At least 30 minutes. I installed on an SSD.

After little experimentation with FreeNAS 10 early this morning... grrrrr FreeNAS 10, really, bloody hell mother of chaos and organic decomposition, wow!

Well.. I think that i will try installing ESXI on another computer to run my vm's in for the time being. That is sad since i dont have that much room in my house.
BUT MUST HAVE THE VM... :P

Haha do anyone know how far i need to rollback for the VM to be stabil?

//dinez