Free Space Prior/In front of EFI Partition?

Just wondering if there’s a way that I can add free space in front of/prior to an EFI partition. It just needs to be something small like 1 MB in size. Either from scratch or with an OS installed, I don’t think it matters.

Gonna try with diskpart going from scratch to see if that even works.

If anyone has done this or something similar that might help and would be okay with saving me some time, feel free to post.

Do you need it physically partition in front of the EFI partition?

You could make an image of the EFI, shrink the data parition and then image, blow out the partition table and then reparition and restore the images. Seems like a lot of work though

May I ask why you need to do this? I hope you are not trying to mix MBR and EFI on one drive.

Was my first post/topic title not clear on that? Unless you mean something different, but if that’s the case I can’t make sense of what you’re saying. It doesn’t seem clear.

Yeah I’m not interested in that much work. That’s material I’ve never done before. There should be a more native friendly way.

VeraCrypt full disk encryption.

No it was not. You asked “in front of/prior to”. Some encryption software require the encrypted block to be before what you want to encrypt. Some will only address the drive if the encrypted block is in the first sector of the disk. Some software just need an encrypted block on the disk or an add on device.

IF you are dealing with Unix partitions, SDA[number] is an arbitrary partition on disk SDA. SDA1 COULD be the first partition logically but the last partition physically. I am not familiar with VeraCrypt.

If you need it physically before everything, you will need to do the method that I suggested. Work is work and you cannot get out of it. Or find another tool.

If you can place it anywhere on the disk, either shrink the EFI partition or the data partition until you can reclaim the required space.

Edits due to how discourse handles side ways carrots

k wtf

That was in reference if you have to do a good old partition move, you have to do the method that I suggested. Data is 99% of the time written at the start of a partititon. IF you resize the partition, you are taking the space away from the end until you run into valid data.

If you need the space free physically at the start of the partition, then what I said is true. There may be a tool our there that will do it for you but that is what needs to be done.

Typing on the internet can remove tone. I was not trying to be a dick or anything. I was just saying that if it needs to be at the head of the disk, you cannot avoid moving the data around, which is a lot of work.

1 Like