Framework Laptop mainboard as an OpenWRT router - CPU fan ramps up with increased network traffic?

Oh god, we R in a meme…

Always DNS, always

5 Likes

Its always DNS

1 Like

It is impossible for a properly functioning DOH to behave like this. The problem is probably some error in your DOH installation, but not the DOH itself.

The number of queries that DNS would have to generate in a correct situation to increase the load/consumption is borderline absurd for a home user.
The fact of encryption itself does not directly affect it either, DNS is lightweight and DOH does not noticeably increase it at all. Something very bad was happening to you… And it would be necessary to find out what exactly was happening.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree … I was kicking that around myself … but I am not sure DNS over HTTPS is a problem, but that there might be another issue, the problem is that I do not know what it is. Usually that would be a call to customer service to check the packet flow, but our little cable company is actually good, and they provide decent tech support. Most ISP tech support is “it’s working isn’t it, bother us when it’s not working.” It makes me wonder if in the process of taking it offline and changing settings the DHCP address was reset.

One thing leads to another? :face_with_diagonal_mouth: Okay, I’ll go back to sleep now.

Ok … Happy napping :sleeping: .

You could install libsensors and then htop will show temperatures.

opkg update
opkg install libsensors

Then in htop, mash F2 and drive around to the “Also show CPU temp…” setting.

I see you’ve already got collectd installed, did you also install collectd-mod-thermal? That logs all the device values it can find in /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/*, some of which are usually just dead (so de-select them in the luci_statistics config file, or in the web interface).

I’ll have another look tonight. It is completely possible its misconfigured or something. In this specific case I was using the luci-app-https-dns-proxy package in OpenWRT.

My networking skills are quite novice beyond normal consumer routers.

Also for what its worth I am using PPPoE.