Fractal Design Torrent Compact with 2 extra 3.5" drives. Also better passive heatsing for chipset

Just wanted to leave this for people searching if it is possible to put more 3.5" hdds into Torrent Compact case.

With some creativity I was able to add fractal design cage for 2x 3.5" hdd at the bottom. But I am not using the bottom intake fans. I only use the front case fans.
The hdd cage It is from my older Fractal Design Define case accessories.
I repurposed the “GPU support bracket” that is provided with Torrent case to hold the hdd cage in place so it doesn’t travel. I screwed it to the hdd cage and to the bottom of the case. It wasn’t exactly easy, the manipulation space is tiny, I helped myself with temporary tape to keep things in place until I was able to screw it in. Also note that this is not possible without magnetic screwdriver.

Cables for additional hard-drives go through the hole in the bottom corner, 2 sata and power cables, they pass just barely, but they do.

So this gives me total of 3x 3.5" hdds in this beautiful case with those gorgeous 180 mm fans in front.

Also I changed the passive cooler for the chipset (x570) for Primecooler PC-NBHP1 because it was the hottest part of the system after few days of test run.

4 Likes

Also now I realize this would not fit with some bigger GPU… I run TrueNAS Scale on it so for me GPU performance is not very important…

Off topic, but is your avatar a picture of Konoko from Oni?

Indeed it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

I loved that game even though what Bungie delivered was not what they were selling originally. I am surprised MS allowed them to release the game at all, let alone on PS2 (the version that I have).

the more modern fractal 3.5 cages can also mount to 120 fan spots so you can have an additional one on the back

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.