FoundryVTT: Self-hosting with Linux on Android

Hello!
I’m looking for help to securely host a FoundryVTT server on an old android phone.
I know nothing of Linux.

I followed a tutorial, managed to make FoundryVTT work with Termux for Android. But I encountered a few issues:

• I can’t make Cloudflare Tunnel work because I don’t have ‘sudo’. I want to use Cloudflared so my server’s ip and port are protected from random intrusions, to limit the accessibility.

• I can’t use cloud storage to backup my files because Termux is using a different storage on my device and Mega/Box/Sync/etc cannot access it. The workaround I imagined would be to use Syncthing to send data from Termux-storage to Android-storage and from there send to cloud-based backup, which sounds like a lot of work.

Being a long time fan of Level1Tech’s podcast, I thought about asking in their forum.

Can anyone help me out please?

Look up Andronix. It will give you a proper linux installl within android.

Woah, this is some arcane knowledge.

The challenge with backing up the data and tying everything together is that android has a lot of security barriers in place. Older systems might work better, but we’ll need to know a bit more about the hardware.

For hardware, I have a Galaxy S7 (g930W8) and a Asus Zenfone 4 (z01kd). Both have 4gb ram and 32gb storage.

The bigger issue is that i’m trying to host a FoundryVTT server for free.
I was following a tutorial about Cloudflare R2 and S3 but half-way through I realized it was about hosting the files, maps and tokens for quicker delivery to the player, not what i’m looking for.
There’s plenty of tutorials about free tier Oracle hosting, but it sadly doesn’t apply to my region.
I’ve hosted FoundryVTT on a old computer before with Cloudflare Tunnel working properly with a domain name, it was pretty cool! But I feel like it’s not safe enough, electricity can be cut randomly during high winds and I’ve lost my server once when the SSD died.

So now I’m looking for other cheap alternatives, I don’t know anything about linux but there seems to be a lot of documentation and tutorials I could follow.

I had a look at Andronix, installed Ubuntu through it but things got really complicated and I got lost.

Back to square one. I looked into rooting the Zenfone, but can’t find answers on XDA. Now looking into rooting the S7 but it’s been a long time I haven’t done that… I’ll slowly follow another tutorial and hope for the best.

Do you have any other suggestions for me?

I managed to root the S7 with Magisk.

Installed Cloudflared Termux from ‘rajbhx’ github.

For the Cloud Storage Backup, I’ve found RClone Mount and will try it once everything else is running well.

I’m able to run Cloudflared now but I get this error.

ERR Failed to create new quic connection error=“failed to dial to edge with quic: INTERNAL_ERROR (local): tls: CurvePreferences includes unsupported curve”

Any ideas on how to fix the Cloudflared QUIC issue?