Found my 1st PC

Going through old PC hardware boxes and came across the first PC I built on my own(bit of help from Paul’s Hardware vids and KitGuru).
Build is a AMD APU A8-3850, gigabyte A75 mobo, 16GB DDR3 4GB x4 1333 OC to 1600, two NVidia 8400GS, had a 500GB Seagate drive, pioneer DVD burner, CoolerMaster case I don’t remember the name of with a Silverstone 500w PSU. Had Ubuntu 8.10 for OS

Have a testbench and PSU on order to see if this will fire up out of curiosity.

9 Likes

It’s so nice when I see people’s first PC had DDR3 in it. Doesn’t make me feel old at all…
:older_adult:

3 Likes

What was the use case, just extra display outputs or there was some SLI on those cards?

1 Like

My PC from ca. 1996 to 2000 was this (used) Gateway with an P90. Man if I were a bit more experienced I could have pulled amazing machines out of the trash, people were throwing out their „old“ PCs left, right and center including amazing hardware like model m keyboards and synthesizers. Instead I maintained this hunk of junk.

4 Likes

multiple monitors…well 1 monitor and 2 TVs from goodwill

1 Like

Nice!

Thanks dude, you inspired me to find my first personally owned computer…

Internals before and after

haven’t painted the case yet, nor sanded it down…

I did hacksaw some holes in the back of the case tho :smiley:

3 Likes

Lovely! I hope it works just fine!
The first pc I build on my own still works, a friend uses it to watch movies on his tv.
Athlon 64 x2 5600 with a Sapphire! motherboard.

2 Likes

1st one I ever built was an old 386 with a 40 mb hdd, dos 6.0, win 3.1 and cd rom.
Used it in my mothers video store until lightning took it out.

1 Like

Hi @Leviathan42, The first computer I ever built was an Intel I5 2600. It served me over ten years, and then I decommissioned it. The only thing I regret is that I did not keep the case; I had to get rid of it because I did not have room to store it anymore. At least it went to a good home. I donated the case to an organization that supports veterans.

1 Like