Found an older Intel CPU in my junk bin that is Glued-together, lol

I found this CPU in my junk bin and thought it was kinda funny…
Old news I know, but still had to laugh.

For the record, it’s a Intel Q9100

4 Likes

Wait until Intel finds out each Ryzen chiplet is just a bunch of transistors glued together!

6 Likes

The fiends!

Wait till they find out that silicon is just glued together sand.

5 Likes

The Pentium D’s were even more glued together

1 Like

5 Likes

I especially like how those intel slides somehow seem to try to claim that gluing CPUs together with multiple sockets to get the core count is somehow better than putting them all on the same socket with shared cache.

I also had a couple of glued togther intels

back in the day i was very anti-non-intel due to being burned so bad in the past with Cyrix floating point performance and VIA chipset issues (stability problems with some common PCI cards from memory). irrespective of performance i was going intel cpu on intel board for stability at the time.

That Intel DP35DP + Q6600 + 8800GTS was one of the best, most stable boxes i ever had.

edit:
i still have the 8800GTS kicking around somewhere

1 Like

I hear that, I was also burned the same way with the M-II PR266, a total junk CPU, and as I was still a child and bought it with years of saved pocket money you can imagine how crushed I was over it. (Btw, this eventually became the basis of the WinChip whch became the AMD Geode)

The AMD K6-II was the next awesome CPU provided you didn’t overclock it without cooling them properly… tons of these failed due to this. The Athlon64 was my next step, and it was also an awesome CPU for the time and value. The Thunderbirds were great provided you were ok with the risk of a fire in your PC :P. XP series were not so great… was never that impressed with them. Phenoms were great, bulldozers sucked. Ryzen’s great.

I did own a few Intel systems over the years too, the P3 1.13GHz was an awesome system, but the P4 platform was never very impressive at all. Intel finally got good again when they finally brought out the Core2 but I was back in AMD territory by then.

All in all, my AMD experience with enthusiast chips (not APUs/Laptops) has been mostly good and when I was old enough to understand (and care) about Intel’s deplorable conduct I made a moral decision to avoid supporting them as much as possible.

Deplorable conduct such as:

• Bribe/blackmail OEMs to not to use AMD CPUs
  • Intel compiler checks for GenuineIntel as the CPUID or it would not enable the fast code paths in the resulting binaries even if the CPU feature set advertised SIMD extensions.
  • Use FUD such as the above slide.

As for AMD, even when they released the Intel destroying Zen platform, and the TR, they did not ever to my knowledge slur or make up crap about Intel, but instead just showed the raw data, and cost comparison. The decision is left up to the buyer to decide which they want, no attempt to manipulate them against intel by slurring them or doing unscrupulous things like crippling their software/drivers when on the Intel platform.

2 Likes

You and me both.

However back when that was current, it wasn’t in the news as much and nowhere near as in the open as it is today.

I’m amazed AMD survived to be honest, and these days i’m mostly AMD when i can - my new Macbook Air is unfortunately ice lake, but i’m in the ecosystem for mobile stuff so…

Desktop is Ryzen tho. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.