Forums COMPLETELY BROKEN unless you block the browser detect JS

Seems Discourse is forcing Firefox 90 and above on a minor bug they found, and that results in you being completely locked out of using the forum on any older version.

This version of Discourse is FAR too aggressive for locking out older browsers. Only blocking this in uBO works:

/browser-detect*.js$important,domain=level1techs.com

Please roll back because it’s far too aggressive as ESR 78 works with the site regardless adding that uBO rule.

Well it is basically your choice to run an outdated unsupported version of a browser.
Of course running that is totally up to you.
However this is just one of the issues you will run into eventually,
not only on our forum but on many other websites as well.
We simply cannot keep continuing to support outdated browsers like forever,
for all the obvious reasons like security and what not.
This is simply a Discourse thing that comes with it’s updates really.

Unfortunately the only solution i have for you right now,
is to simply update your browser to the latest ESR version.
And yes i do get it that you might hate the new layout of Firefox.
However that is something we cannot really do anything about.

11 Likes

Something similar happened to me when using Maxthon v5.xx, I was already using v6.xx for other things and swapped over the Level 1 Tech Forums and now they are loading and working fine for me :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m in the middle of moving my stuff so I have no time to investigate userChrome CSS fixes.

There are probably ways around it.
However that is of course totally up to you.

As the initial post said, I’ve blocked one JS file for now.

Any particular reason for using 78? Any specific reason against esr102?

Last one before FTP browsing was disabled and last one with the non Proton UI.

Fixing Proton UI is going to take 4 days of continuous effort creating a userChrome CSS and entering browser debugging to find element names.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense… the question is, is it worth being exposed to possible security vulnerabilities?

4 Likes

you cant just use the dev version of firefox?..
a lot of features are still embedded in it but don’t have there properties set in the about:config

add a new var if its not already in the list.

network.ftp.enable true

then just try connecting via ftp

2 Likes

hmm i know, there arent many good ftp clients, but winscp looks good so far. only client that doesn’t spit out any errors for my use cases. maybe that can convince you upgrading ff. :slight_smile:

Does that work in ESR 102 non-dev?

My main problem is modifying the userChrome CSS is going to take a lot of time to get the UI back to how I originally modified it.

how much customization have you done? If it’s a lot you could try chat gpt to generate a version for the newer firefox release

Someone still uses FTP in 2023?

3 Likes

i did last year. dunno if i setup a ftpd when ive replaced my zombie yet.

its kind of more isolated, dont need an system account to share or gain access. but most important in such case is, that it does server to server transfer without a valid shell. if u dont want to setup more apps for sharing its nice. for only read and writing its good.

Now I can’t even upload images anymore on 78.15. I literally upgraded from Waterfox 56 to 78 just for image uploads to be fixed for them to decide “Oh you need Firefox 90.”

I’m nowhere near settled in my move, I’m stuck on Wifi, and when I ask for friends for Ethernet install help they say “STOP WHAT YOU’RE DOING RIGHT NOW.” and I’m $800 in debt still.

Starlink and ATSC antenna still isn’t on the roof, the new homeshare landlords are also asking for debt repayment… Urgh.

This entire discussion gave me a legit headache and triggered me more:

I don’t think I fully understand your issue.

When your Hardware is so old, the newest version of software you can run is EOL (= not supported anymore), then that hardware not keeping pace with current tech is expected behaviour.

2 Likes

The issue is Discourse taking the “nightly build” mentality. And blaming the user because their philosophy was “supposed to be clear” from the get go for a “the next ten years” thing, when simple users are not going to look up their philosophy and widespread use is only going to lead to more frustrated users.

Then when they bring up these chronic complaints and find out the source are simple users, they “politely” reply that because they’re users, they’re retarded.

“Oh hey, they fixed a annoying bug, nobody’s gonna use a version below this…” Well, clearly people do and devs moving forward with a Chrome versioning mindset don’t care.

No they’re not. They’re using a standard practice build toolchain to work with the latest SUPPORTED LTS (read ESR) versions.

You want to run ancient unsupported software? Sure. Expect issues unless you pay someone to fix and or maintain your ball of wax.

Lets take a gander at browserlist for who runs FF78 ESR.

So in a room with 1000 people, 34 of them would run it. Ask yourself, Is it fair to: spend valuable developer time to build, test, maintain, slow down load times, performance, and other baggage that goes with supporting older browsers that hardly anyone uses for free software?

10/10 folks would complain about “the bloated JS app” if they were to do something to try and support old browsers too. So damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Obviously, you feel slighted because you feel like they no longer cater to your use specific case. Please, update to something supported, or use something else. OR pay someone to help you if this is something that is business / mission critical and you just cannot update yet (I understand). But if this is your personal machine and you’re neglecting updates, then tough beans I have no sympathy.

10 Likes