Force 2nd GPU into D3 State in VFIO setup

Hello Level1Forums, this is my 1st post here and I’d like to ask some question about my VFIO setup.

Here’s a quick background on my setup:

• Manjaro Linux with kernel 4.19.8 and Windows 10 as guest OS
  • Ryzen 7 1700, Asrock X370 Taichi, 32GB DDR4
  • Sapphire Radeon RX 560 for host, Colorful GTX 1080 Ti for guest

Its been working fine without any issue except that my guest GPU (GTX 1080 Ti) would get very hot if I do not start the Windows 10 VM immediately (the backplace would get too hot to touch). To get a ‘normal’ temperature on my 1080 Ti, I must either run the Windows 10 guest and let it run or start it and shut it down immediately.

If I do any of the above the 2nd GPU temp is well within acceptable and the backplate and any exposed heatsink part is cool to touch, which is strange because as far as I know vfio-pci should put the device into D3 power state by default.

Also strange thing is this only happen with my GTX 1080 Ti, when running the system with a Gigabyte GTX 1070 this issue does not happen. The card would stays very cool even without immediately starting up guest VM after Linux is booted. This gets me worried about possible longetivity issue on my 1080 Ti so any suggestion would be very welcome.

Thank you and please forgive my english, I’m not a native speaker so I my type in some mistake here and there.

sounds like vfio-pci isnt binding to the second gpu properly until VM startup.
you can verify whather or not this is the case by issuing “lspci -nnk” before starting the VM for the first time since last host reboot.