Floatplane Media

A video streaming platform.

Yes an alternative to YouTube in response to the adpocalyose.

It is its own platform.

Supposedly closer integration with the content creator they follow.

Yes you have to pay to view the videos.

It looks that way for now yes.

Again as a response to the adpocalypse. It is a way to make sure if YouTube goes under or becomes unviable as a primary revenue stream they have an alternative all ready in place.

Ok. Sounds logical but … I have a lot of doubts.

Suppose youtube disappears.
How will you convince the majority of people to pay for the privilege of watching a very narrow group?
Unless it’s a business built on the agenda of a group of crazy fans who will be even before youtube disappears. Most people will not pay for something when something else is for free.
And if the day comes for a change, it can be too late.

For this I am afraid that despite the payment, the user will still be forced to see the advertisement which is part of the video.
It’s a bit …

Technically expensive. And a business side largely based on a group of ready-to-pay fanatics. And prices have to go up from what I’ve heard.
If I’m not mistaken, there was already something similar and it fell.

Yes this has been hashed out many times over now. I know nothing about it other than its name and the people behind it. As far as I know there are no ads involved. It is paying for the service instead of ads but like you said I have no idea how viable that will be. It is still not general availability right now so only in then prototyping an experimenting phase. There is a lot to overcome before it is in any way viable to the general public from the sounds of things.

It also came off the back of a service called vessel, it was also a no ads pay to see the people younlike idea with much more backing and it died a very quick death. This has been kept much smaller and not launched in a large way exactly because of how vessel went down. LTT was brought on as a creator for vessel in the early days as a selling point so in think this is where they got the idea and figured they could do it better but much more cautiously too.

1 Like

I guess I don’t, I got there a lot but never really have any issues (more than youtube gives me)

Well they would need to pay me if I was hosting there data and uploading it to other peers.

There is a reason when Linus got 10G internet and said how do we test it ? The engineer said torrents. Look up the video.

1 Like

Maybe a dumb question, but has there been/could there be a hybrid of centralized and decentralized methods

That’s Bitchute.

The issue is that bittorrent picks up peers extremely slowly.

1 Like

I dont think they want to become youtube… or replace it.
I believe their goal is to capture the people (the ones that buy the merch and give to patreon…etc) and give them something extra…(no worries about copyright strikes, no ads, behind the scenes, better quality audio/video, easy option to download videos… etc)

1 Like

Its a good question and yes there are open source facebooks etc. But the people using them pay to play.

If everyone did it. ISP’s would lock down pricing harder on consumers taking into account uploads and downloads.

It a sloop. Im Australian and have unlimited as in I have never been told off. But if I maxed out my connection up and down 24/7 for a month. I would get a call.

1 Like

oh ok, I thought it basically peer to peer more than anything. I guess that makes sense if I spend a second to think about it.

ya I messed around with some of the free ones, has some good ideas but just not worth/not ready for prime time imo. That was like 3 years ago though

ya they kinda do that here in freedom land already, and rumor mill is they slow down bittorrent (or cut it off) but idk if thats true haven’t dabbled in that for a long time.

I recall them saying that. Floatplane is a good SHTF plan if youtube becomes nonviable, was just wondering

LMG have 10G only to Vanix (Harbor Center) and only where ITel has a peer established. Full transit only roughly 5G. Even seventeen servers from OHV would be enough for such a test, but p2p is a very good way to test too.

10Gio.dat 100%[==============>] 10,00G 76,7MB/s in 2m 19s

Supposedly … $5 per channel currently they want?
Back to the past … just a moment and will be bulk packages like cable TV and sat.

1 Like

Still says three right now… if you sign up … might get locked in to the lower price

Apparently, starting tomorrow it will be $5. The ones that subscribed before this change will keep their $3 plan.
Also, they plan to someday split the LMG content into multiple channels, each will have their own fee. This was mentioned in the last WAN Show.

Thats also one thing that I didnt quite like about the platform. Paying for each individual channels makes this outprice netflix quite handily, quite quickly. I do realise that the background is ‘I want to more directly, support xyz channel.’. But still Id rather have one subscription to floatplane, not multiple to lmg alone.

I think they should do some sort of thing where if you pay for one channel (or maybe you make it 2 or 3 channels, I aint a business person), you (can) watch all of, but only get the benefits of early access and exclusive videos for the channels you paid for.

Obviously, the big problem with that is. You’re just gonna pay for the channel with the most exclusive videos and everybody else wont make a dime without a system in place to solve that ‘somehow’.

All Im saying is I dont like it as would be now. But I certainly dont have a working business model for that either…

I believe they want to avoid to be a Netflix-like service.
From what I understand, they just want to be a content viewing platform without the inconvenience and possible problems of having to handle revenue distribution between the different creators on the platform.
They’re just get their fee and that’s it. They leave it to the Content Creator to define the price to access their content and promote it.

I know in the past they talked about analyzing the cost of doing multiple subscriptions, they probably just don’t have enough data or users yet to effectively compute how to price that yet.

I think their goal is to have an option model that allows people to subscribe to several creators.

But with the limited number of users and creators right now… Nothing has been announced

That’s right. So how is it supposed to be … if I want 10 channels to watch, I have to pay $50?
I understand that the cost of maintaining such a website is terribly high, but I have the impression that they lost some contact with the reality due to high earnings and too many free items from companies.
It looks like a return to the past with TV only here, more segmented according to the actual demand.
If youtube falls, I do not intend to pay so much … I will seek another entertainment.
I also see the possibility of a new sub piracy group and content for those who do not want to pay. Or even some proxy services that use one account for multiple users.

I think you have to look at it like it’s a min $5 patreon sub. There isn’t tons of exclusive videos just stuff early.
Also remember cost break down is payment processor,fp hardware,fp staff and creator.

Sure. But patreon sub a forced payment is a slightly different approach to the topic.
If I were to give $5 to every channel I watch at least once a month, I would have to spend $500 every month.

Of course, this is only in theory if you move everything from youtube. For one or two channels, this may be acceptable, but even if lmg separates its channels it is already $15.