Floatplane Media

That’s definitely a possibility.

I’m sometimes tempted to send in my resume, just to see what they have to offer. I wonder if I can get 150k (us, not canadian pesos) there…

Im not a web developer, just an hardware and redhat OS guy ( was RHCE for rhel6, but expired now)

I’d love to be able to build and test stuff with all the hardware Linus has access to. I’d probably never leave.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, seriously.

It blows my mind they get paid to fuck around with hardware.

2 Likes

See, I think with a livable Vancouver wage and all the hardware that hardware access, the amount of free time just to fuck around with a testing lab would probably lead to a pretty beefy infrastructure in the end. Since it is Floatplane, you aren’t likely to be roped into making videos also.

Except we’re forgetting that Luke and FP are being kicked out of the office soon… they are running low on space with LTT growing at the rate it has been.

1 Like

Have you seen that lounge they are building based on free shit? Jesus Christ.

you know I am not one of these we, you have seen my posts lol

I do know what you posted means now, I went to a class today lol but it still comes from youtube right? We need to be free of google boiz

1 Like

" Floatplane Media (presumably Incorporated) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Linus Media Group Incorporated. "

and apparently linus is CEO. so really, i think you’re right, it’s mostly separate for tax and branding (and possibly liability should it fail?) purposes.

1 Like

Nah, floatplane is 100% separate.

1 Like

yeah I think in a wanshow they explained.

Linus CEO of both, but they are completely separate companies. Which is why Luke was “leasing” space from LTT office and they had to put tape on the floor to physically designate the FP office.

3 Likes

@SgtAwesomesauce

so Luke mentioned he has gone through 2000 applications so far for the FP positions…

2 Likes

Damn, that’s frustrating, I can imagine.

1 Like

I’ve watched some BSD now and other interviews. Allan Jude has talked about spinning up and down scalable infrastructure for events etc to handle the loads on Scale Engine.

Luke has NFI how to do that and will need to hire really smart people for a lot more money than he is paid to get it working.

But here I am with NFI myself other than using cloud infrastructure to get your content worldwide too with non live streams. So storage is a further expense. Getting content to the edge of your network so customers get streams they paid for. Will cost a LOT. Storage is expensive.

It’s a nightmare for a small startup. At this point I can wait another year and check back again.

1 Like

As resident noob who wades in far beyond their true knowledge base, I have a question.

For a small operation and for the health/cost/viability of scaling up, why wouldn’t people be using something like mediagoblin/bitchute/bit-torrent style of distribution for their platform?

Is floatplane doing this, I am under the impression they are not and would like to know why? Is this do to laws or?

maybe @SgtAwesomesauce would know

I was meaning L1T needs to be free of google lol, I do expect them to jump on FP when it gets bigger

so is this a thing yet or nah?

It exists for a few very specific creators. It does not exist in a format you would want to use I expect.

Edit: that’s it for now.

https://www.floatplane.com/

It only lists LTT as a channel available to follow on the main site and a very, very brief history.

1 Like

There are 3 creators on the FP…

and fyi… LTT has over a year of videos on there. (some are FP exclusive behind the scenes)

2 Likes

Because the reliability simply wouldn’t be there. Do you regularly use bit chute? It’s unreliable as fuck.

1 Like

I knew there were more but could not remember names and in could not find any more info with out wanting to sign up.

Thanks for that.

So what exactly is the floatplane?
An alternative for youtube and other platforms? Central place to propagate data on multiple platforms automatically?
What does the ordinary user gain? So I have to pay for the privilege of viewing video on this platform? Is it only for those who create videos?
What is the purpose of this solution?