Fixing keyboard trackball combo

I just purchased a ione scorpius 35 at a garage sale for $1. It works well except for one axis on the trackball dose not work. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how to fix the sensor or entirely replace the trackball.

Does the encoder wheel turn? You could source a sensor from another ball tracking device and solder it in. They do use them in diy robotics but i bet they will cost more than the keyboard if you find a retailer that stocks them. Most diy robot guys get them from old ball mice. Once you know the values you may be able to source one from here

http://www.mouser.com/Sensors/Optical-Sensors/Phototransistors/_/N-9xesa

It all turns freely i'm assuming that it is the photo resistor or the led. How would I know what one to get to replace it.

I also discovered the left ctrl dose not work. have to diagnose if its the switch or on the board.

If your looking to learn about this stuff I would continue if your just looking to fix it I would scrap it and take the $1 loss.

The photo sensor should have some writing on it that can lead you to specs but you will probably need to use a magnifier to read it. I am not sure how many archives your going to find on these. If it is blank grab a voltmeter and read about ohm's law you can find out some values based on the resistance and at least learn something cool that will apply to a future tear down session :)

1 Like

I intend to fix it. I have been gathering entry level soldering and prototyping equipment. Not i need to buy a multimeter. Any suggestions on model or what to look for.

i use a klein mm100 meter with audible continuity

You can find these used on ebay new in the box for like 10-15 sometimes