[FIXED] Stuttering with VLC in new build with RX5700XT

Hi,

Feel guilty for asking, but I am in a bit of a situation that I haven’t been able to fix in my new Manjaro installation and I am really out of options and I am new using AMD GPUs. So I hope maybe here I can find some help.

A week ago I just build my new PC and installed a Manjaro (been using it for last year in my other machine without any issue), but in this machine I am having a few problems. Some I can live with, but others don’t.

The issue at hand is really silly, but it forces me to boot into Win10 just to use VLC which is annoying ><. I did not install anything since AMD GPU is supposed to be in the kernel (running 5.4.6-2) and games seems to run pretty well, so I assume the card is working even thought I know no way to monitur GPU usage.
Now, in VLC I get constant stuttering every 2~3 secs and some artifacts when scaling, kind of no antialising is done at all, everything is seen pixelated and with some sort of scan-lines.

System:

• Ryzen 7 3700X
  • GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Elite
  • MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC
  1. Have you tried a LiveUSB with Ubuntu Eoan or some other up-to-date-enough distribution?
  2. Could you share the output of dmesg --human during VLC playback?
  3. Could you run VLC from a terminal and share any warnings or errors you see in the terminal during and/or before playback?

It’s likely Mesa being unstable with the standard OpenGL renderer. You can try OpenGL ES or X11 or XVideo as the renderer to see if it solves anything.

MPV on the AUR is also worth considering. A more barebones option than VLC, but it might play better than VLC with unstable Mesa.

Well, changing the output to X11 or Xvideo fixes the artifacts and made the VLC much more stable. Many, many thanks!

Also checked the logs, but they show the same errors I see in other computres with Manjaro and Nvidia, so I’ll assume it has something to do with the drivers and hope it gets better with time.
Honestly in both Linux & Windows it feels AMD drivers are a bit beta :confused:

If it’s any consolation, I have never had any issues with AMD hardware, not even on Windows. To be fair, after moving off of Ubuntu (it just got boring after a year and I wanted a challenge), I was always on the bleeding edge (testing repositories on Arch and currently the testing package keyword on Gentoo). That, and I have never been on very recent hardware to begin with.

I am just wondering about one thing. How does VLC behave under Wayland on your system?

I’ve had this problem with VLC under Linux before, even on nvidia hardware I think. Doesn’t seem to happen that much these days.

Can’t say. During the last year I’ve been using only Manjaro xfce and gnome in work DELL laptop, personal macBook pro 2014 and my other desktop PC i7-920 with Gforce 650. None use wayland, and while I consider myself tech-savy I don’t mess much with core systems. And with VLC the experience has been pretty much withouth issues until now.

But it is truth that is my first time using relatively new hardware and specially AMD GPUs.