Fitness Levels?

This is a serious question, is it good, or at least okay to be able to run a mile in just under 8 and a half minutes? ... Opinions? ...

Voted, and other is the result. I know it is not considered exercise by many but I walk. That is about it, but quite a bit and once I get walking I tend to walk till exhausted where possible.

Of course it's an exercise! - Walking is possibly the best way to burn fat. Plus it's kinda easy going, so it's not like you have to give your 110% effort, unless you're talking about walking a stupid distance, then I guess that's a little different, but you get where I'm coming from.

Yeah thats pretty solid.

In high school I was running almost flat 6 minute miles.

But all the good track people had sub 6 and even some close to flat 5 minute mile times.

I usually don't even know that I'm exhausted until I stop walking. It doesn't really register. And that can lead to some very unpleasant scenarios. One year I had a stress fracture on my right foot because I was walking too often and too much. So even if it's just walking you shouldn't overdo it. If you start feeling pressure in your feet it's best to sit down for a while and rest. The microfracture took two weeks to heal and it hurt like hell.
This is especially important for those that are overweight. Walking can be a great exercise, but if you're overweight you need to realize that your feet and knees are under a lot of pressure, so be smart about it.

I am not very overweight just not in shape really. I do know when to stop and would take breaks if I am walking a lot. I do walk till I am pretty exhausted sometimes like I said but not hard or strenuous walking. If I am in any pain or discomfort I do not push past it. And the exhaustion is not a sudden realisation, I know when I am getting tired and need to stop.

Thanks for the heads up though, that fracture sounds horrible.

I do wanna try and get it to the point where I can run at a solid 12 MPH, with some incline, wearing boots and without dying.... :joy: .... I think I can do it if I keep at my training routines! :slight_smile:

I get this exact problem, I only say it's a problem because I've injured myself before, because I push and push and PUSH myself..... Well if I don't realise I'm as tired as I am, as I've done before, screwed up ligaments to the point where it takes at least 10 months to recover before you can even train again, and that's not having fully recovered, that's just to the point where you're not in a fair bit of pain.... But rather a slight and annoying pain... :stuck_out_tongue:

.... I injured my shoulder SO bad before, it hurt just to close a curtain, let alone do any form of exercise... I was actually devastated because of it, it got me down a little, obviously not depressed or anything tragic, but I wasn't happy about it to say the least! :stuck_out_tongue: ... At least I can say I've learned a lesson there! :joy:

or be like this guy

Personally, I'd rather not! :joy: ... I'm not on a SUPER strict diet, I'm just making sure I eat enough for muscle recovery & development, I don't really care about my physical appearance... I've always prefered people who are strong af than people who just look good..... I mean I'd rather that 'bear mode' body type than look like a model or whatever.... I just care about physically being capable of doing things, like running so fast for so long and being able to lift this weight and that weight, etc.....

I HOPE most people are like that, I know there are people who care 100% about looks though, most of my friends care only about their looks. They're built like stick insects, but they're ripped, weak as hell, I mean most average people are stronger than them, but they look good on the beach, I'll give them that much! :joy:

Myself, I'd say I'm a slimmed down and smaller bear mode, I've been told I have a very 'manly' physique, I'm quite broad, naturally, so it makes sense I guess! :stuck_out_tongue:

To all who have a good idea about the military, am I correct in thinking that you receive training before you have to pass your fitness test(s)? - Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm only wondering because I'm looking to join some elite regiments, and IF I need to pass my fitness tests before the training starts, then I need a little bit longer than initially planned. I'm not far from where I want to be, but I'm not 100% of the way there. I want to have more strength and endurance first, just so I don't die if I attempt to pass these fitness tests. I mean I think I could pass the royal marine requirements, if not even more intense regimens again.

HOWEVER, for me to be able to pass those tests, although I think I'd have a chance, I can't say I could do it for certain, AND I know for a fact, I wouldn't exactly find it at all easy. Not that I'd imagine anyone finds them easy, that's why they're tests, no test is designed to be easy. But I'm sure you get my point, if I did somehow pass, it would be by the skin on my teeth, if that. :joy:

I mean I'd probably be near death if I tried to pass the fitness test(s) right now, which isn't something to be ashamed of in my opinion, take the SAS as an example, I've heard of multiple people having passed away just doing the fitness test.

The only tech I use to monitor my health is a digital scale :grin:. I work out enough anyway to keep my weight in check

For anyone I can suggest my personal training exercise that I started about a two weeks ago and I even feel it getting easier.

Everyday:
n+=1 push-ups then at 20 add n+=1 sit-ups then at 5 add n+=1 push-ups
And every second day go for a run doesn’t need to be a long, but it must be the same or longer.

I’ve noticed it is easier to go for a run and I also am gonna make my running path longer. And in the beginning my 10 first push-ups, almost couldn’t make it. Now I feel athletic and I even feel happier and more energetic than before.

“If you want to be a better self tomorrow, start today”
is the motto that I follow.

3 years later

Bro

@Rogue-agent We typically have a six to nine month necro rule. Please don’t bump threads that are several years old. We can make a new one if you want.

1 Like