First time OC... Would love some help!

So i have a amd fx 8350 that i am trying to get 24/7 stable at 4.4-4.5 Ghz. My motherboard is a 990fxa-gd65. 

I set my core speed to 4.4Ghz and my core voltage to 1.45 and ran Prime95 after about 30 minutes i blue screened and cant figure out how to properly do this and make it stable.

my temps were around 44c-46c when blue screened and also my cpu cooler is a brand new Hyper 212 EVO

Any and all help would much appreciated! 

Max the volts.

Lulz^^

Just bring the Vcore up, SLOWLY. I don't know how good the VRM is on that board, but AMD chips draw a lot of power and I wouldn't want you to make a stupid mistake and fry your board with too much Vcore.

Take it slow and I wish you good luck.

Thank you i shall give it a try.

By slowly, you should put it up by 0.01 - 0.05v each time, then test. When you hit 65C, stop. If you arent stable, then youll need a better cooler, but if that's the case, then you got a bad overclocking chip, and sadly, there would be nothing you could do about it.

yesh, paranoid danger zone of the temps is 55-60 degrees, but I think you can go a bit higher like phantom says. Some sites are really being paranoid about it.

Also the paranoid danger zone of voltage starts up to 1.55V, but I guess you can go up to 1.60 if you're up for it. Again, its hard to seperate pure paranoia from true facts, and the info on the internet isn't exactly helping.

I did saw stable builds running at 1.65v and ~65° C, and they didn't report that their CPU burned down.

So yes, smalls steps. A thing you also need to know is, even if your system isn't crashing, it might still mean a certain core is failing. only long-term testing can determine a stable build. (or prime95, but this is under heavy debate nowadays since it seems to be a bit brutal)

The fact is; your system only crashes when a specific core crashes at the wrong time of a OS - excecution.

If a core crashes, raise the voltage. But keep an eye on your temp when you do this, for obvious reasons.

At any rate, good luck!

Thank you everybody for your comments i learned some good information and i'm going to try raising the voltage little by little and watch my temps. 

Don't use prime95 try Aida64 it's a more realistic stability test. 

I've never passed a prime95 test over 15 min. And my pc has also never BOSD or given me any problems and it passes aida64 just fine. fx-8120 [email protected] w/ 1866mhz ram

On that gigabyte board you want to up the voltage on cpu pll and northbridge somethin pll to the highest value before it hits red, should allow you to overclock higher with lower vcore and help stabilize in general. Use hwmonitor and aida64. Also pray you're not on revision 3 of that board.

I wouldn't do that.

You don't know what you're talking about the highest value before red on that gigabyte board is still a very safe value and I have a version of this motherboard, also I have been on the forums where people have been overclocking the 8350 etc to 4.8ghz stable with high nb overclocks so relax. the nb etc pll you can relax and only bump up like 2 steps if you're not using fsb overclocking much. OH YEAH, never bump up the vcore past 1.45vcore if you need more it's not worth it the chip will die slowly(not to mention the insane heat) and you should be able to get 4.7-4.8ghz with that. You want to use the lowest vcore possible while still keeping it stable.

Uhm..? No. Voltage increase for everyone is different. 

It depends on temperatures, and how much your particular board can push. Just because one board can push a certain voltage, doesnt mean that they all can. 

My 8150 runs stable at 5.0GHz, with 1.5-1.6v. FX chips are rated up to 1.55v. 

Who doesn't know what they are talking about now?

Randomly increasing voltages that you know nothing about is the fastest way to kill your equipment. 

You should always, ALWAYS, increase voltage slowly, until stability is reached. NEVER increase voltage blindly.

IDK about x86, but us PowerPC users just max the VRM, typically 2.0vCore and set the multiplier to 2x and the bus to half your desired speed. (oh, yes. on PowerPC the bus speed is the bus speed. There is no "effective bus clock". If the bus is 200MHz, that's your memory bandwidth. So, we like to use blazing buses and low multipliers) Use liquid nitrogen for 30 minutes. In those 30 minutes, lower the vCore until it is mildly unstable then raise by 1 step (either 0.025 or 0.05v). Then we hook up the watercooler and see if we like the temps. If we don't, we just jower the vCore a step and bus clock a bit.

Just because it can doesn't mean it's good for the damn chip, you just don't need 1.5vcore. The voltages on the pll for this particular board are tested SAFE values with extra voltage room to spare by me and plenty of other am3/+ overclockers with this line of boards. If the temps are reasonable and the system is tested stable it's not a big fucking deal. Ever heard of Electromigration.? Just because it's rated to run 1.55v doesn't mean it should. AND FFS I mentioned the board in particular not in general about the cpu pll voltages take the stick out of your ass. To the OP, this thread will have all kinds of info for this particular board http://www.overclock.net/t/1023100/official-gigabyte-ga-990fxa-series-owners-thread-club/7100

Just because it can doesn't mean it's good for the damn chip

This also applies to the motherboard, its VRMs, and the pll voltages, doesn't it? Had my CPU for over 2 years. Still runs fine.

you just don't need 1.5vcore

You just don't need to overclock, do you?

The voltages on the pll for this particular board are tested SAFE values with extra voltage room to spare by me and plenty of other am3/+ overclockers with this line of boards

No. The bios settings for voltages are the same across all of the gigabyte boards. Each specific bios does not have different values deemed "safe".

If the temps are reasonable and the system is tested stable it's not a big fucking deal

Which is EXACTLY proving my point of starting low, and going higher gradually, and not just throwing it up high. 

Ever heard of Electromigration.? Just because it's rated to run 1.55v doesn't mean it should

1.55 is tested safe voltage before degradation of the CPU. Although ANY overclocking at all will degrade life, so your point really isn't valid.

I mentioned the board in particular not in general 

No, you did not mention HIS board in particular. But all 990 boards in general. You do not know what his INDIVIDUAL board is capable of. Just like CPUs, not all motherboards overclock/overvolt the same.

take the stick out of your ass

Learn what you're talking about. Don't tell people to up their voltages to ANY point that you don't know how their particular case/hardware/cooling set-up can handle. That's a rookie mistake. 

To the OP, this thread will have all kinds of info for this particular board

The first comment on that page you posted.

"NB/PCIE/PLL is the 1.8v at stock iirc that is what stabilizes your FSB i have run it up pretty high but it does not help much past stock"

So why should he risk overvolting that blindly, if it doesnt even help stability that much? Again. Bad idea.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1023100/official-gigabyte-ga-990fxa-series-owners-thread-club/7850 4.4ghz 1.375vcore You got a bad piledriver. And it does help stability on these gigabyte 990fx boards. cpu pll just under 2.7 and bump up NB pll(riskier value) a few steps, lower the vcore and bench with aida64 while monitoring all the temps on hwmonitor. Turn off the power saving features in the bios and turn LLC(load line calibration) to medium and see how far the min max voltages swing on the vcore.

Who are you to say I got a bad CPU? I got mine to 5GHz. There's a large difference between 4.4 and 5.0. 

Also, Turning llc to medium will cause the voltage to spike over what you set it to, enabling less control.

As this is OPs first time Overclocking, he shouldn't be messing with those values quite yet. 

And he especially shouldnt be setting them to someone else's specifications, and should find his own. 

Quit being so petty. there's no harm in telling him to start low, and work his way up, only if he needs to. But there COULD be harm if he starts out with increased voltages. 

Again, you do not know his set-up, you do not know his cooling, if he sets it too high, he may not even get a chance to monitor it, his motherboard could fail before he even boots. ]

Always better to take the safe rout when first starting out.

So stop being a tosser about it.