First PC build, parts list, £900 budget, advice please?

Hi everyone, as the thread title says I'm looking to build myself a PC for the first time, primarily as a gaming machine instead of getting a next gen console and was hoping to get some advice on what components to buy. With that said here's all the relevant information (I hope!)
  • Budget: £900ish (can probably stretch to about £1000 if the performance increase is worth it), + £150ish for a monitor (money saved on PC can add to this i guess)
  • Where do you live, what currency do you use?: United Kingdom, £ GBP
  •   -Is there a retailer you prefer?: The cheapest including postage :)
  • Do you need or already have peripherals?: Have peripherals, just need a monitor
  • What will you be using your future computer for?: Primarily Gaming
  • Do you overclock or want to get into overclocking?: Yes I would like to get into overclocking, nothing too serious, just for the extra performance gain.
  • Do you plan on going for custom watercooling now, or in the future?: No plans for this
  • OS. Do you need a new one?: I believe I can get a free copy of windows through dreamspark

If you Game-

• What kind of settings do you like or what FPS do you want to play at?: I would like to play current games maxed out or close to it ( AA turned down etc), at atleast 30fps, and future games at the same/better than the next generation consoles.
  • What resolution will you be playing at? //or would like to play at.: 1920x1080p
  • What kind of games do you like to play? All sorts, FPS, Strategy, an MMO here or there amongst many others.

If you don't have peripherals -

• What size monitor are you looking for, and what resolution? 23-24" 1920x1080p, from what I've read IPS seems to be better although I freely admit I know next to nothing about monitors. Anything's got to be better than this cheapo Toshiba laptop I currently use :)
  • I also need the PC to have wireless. *Edit* (because the PC will be on the 2nd floor however the  line goes to the ground floor)

So with this information in mind and watching numerous video reviews etc, here is the parts list I've come up with:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1PuUv

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1PuUv/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1PuUv/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£105.59 @ Aria PC)

Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£38.35 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£63.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£47.38 @ CCL Computers)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£232.79 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

Wireless Network Adapter: Edimax EW-7612PIn 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£13.07 @ Scan.co.uk)

Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case (£95.98 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£65.00 @ Amazon UK)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer (£12.31 @ Amazon UK)

Monitor: Dell U2312HM 23.0" Monitor (£157.78 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £1024.21 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Are there any glaring issues? Any parts you would suggest instead and why? 

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jao

hi there, nice build and parts alltogether, i built my first pc about a year ago and here are my thoughts :

-i wouldnt bother with a wifi adapter, i use wired for gaming

-i'd drop the optical drive since never used, even if you buy a game in a store you can redeem most of them online using their cd-key 

-7970 or 280x, basicly same card but for some rsn the 280x is cheaper here in belgium 

-use savings on the other stuff i just mentioned for a corsair or the like prefilled watercooled unit like an h100i

-if possible try to save a hdd from an older system for storing games

just my thoughts, not the law

kind regards

Hi,

Congratulations on your first PC, leaps and bounds better than my current one (i3-3220, HD 7850 :P, fabulous for gaming on my ancient 1240x1080 monitor)

The part list looks very solid in my opinion, but here are some suggestions.

The 500r is a badass case, but do you really need it? You can get the 200r for quite a bit cheaper and invest the saving in some good fans instead. 

The wifi adapter is a bit iffy IMO. Can you kindly explain why you need your desktop to have wireless? Because 9 times out of 10, wired connection is always superior. 

And following SilverSurfer, please ditch the optical drives, it is obsolete nowadays.

Some kind of soundcard can improve your gaming experience tremendously. I highly recommend Asus Xonar range or the Creative Soundblaster Z line. Just grab anything that fit your budget, because it will surely be better than the onboard audio. 

All in all, there is nothing "wrong" with your part list, everything will work perfectly.

Cheers,

RandomGuy

Yeah I probably should have mentioned, why I need the wireless.

The PC's going to be residing in my bedroom, on the 2nd floor of the house, while the line only goes to the living room on the ground floor, the only other and highly impractical option I can think of would be to run a super long Ethernet cable down the stairs to the router. 

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys, very much appreciated.

Jao