First gen Threadripper memory controller issues? Not seeing all memory

I had a nice TR 1920X server chugging along with 4x16GB ECC Kingston server ram in ASRock X399M Taichi, when I decided to “max it out” by getting a 1950X. Bought it from a Chinese seller on eBay, all looked fine.

After it arrived, I only checked the core count, but later I noticed only one stick of memory is detected. Tried re-seating the CPU and then 3 out of 4 sticks were detected. I put back my 1920X and everything worked fine.

I already opened a return claim on eBay, but I’d like to know if this is a know issue of (1st gen) Threadrippers.

Pretty sure this is something to do with the CPU not seating in the socket properly, however, if multiple reseating attempts fails to provide all the memory channels than I would suspect the issue is with the CPU as your older 1920x seems to work fine.

That being said, you did confirm the BIOS is up to date just in case ?

I can say I didn’t see any issues with my 2950x on an ASUS motherboard out of the box, running 4 x 16GB Corsair sticks and all of them are showing up just fine.

Yeah, I have the latest bios, there hasn’t been a bios update for my board since 2020. Also cleared CMOS.

I thought maybe pins don’t make contact, but not sure if overtightening the socket is possible to that exteme. And even then, the damage would likely be in the motherboard pins and not the CPU itself?

All I know is my previous CPU worked flawlessly each time I put it in, don’t think it’s worth fiddling with the new one if it has such a delicate soul.

Are you using AMDs torque wrench, for loosening/tightening down of the plate?
Is their any visible damage / staining, on the 1950x contact pads?

1 Like

Yes I used the official torque wrench.

I don’t see any damage that would scream “this is defective”, but I don’t look at LGA much to be an expert. (Including a pic, dunno if it will remain high-res)

Edit: The seller is attempting some troubleshooting:

Hello, For the corresponding memory sticks in the picture, you can test the sockets 1 and 3 first. If the channel is still missing, insert another 6,8 or 5,7 memory test. It is recommended that you find a professional for testing thanks

I stated 2 times that my micro-ATX board only has 4 memory slots, they keep telling me to try stuff in slots 5, 6, 7, 8, which makes me think they are just copy-pasting some generic troubleshooting ideas and not actually looking at the problem.
Quite frankly I’m tired of taking it apart and re-assembling everything, I wasted so much time and thermal paste on this already.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.