First Gaming PC Build. Thoughts or advice?

Below is my first build from pcpartpicker and would like peoples advice. I intend to use this build long term and my primary genre of gaming are shooters or RPGs. Should I pull the trigger ? I already have all of the peripherals I.e. 240hz 1080p monitor (I know I should prob upgrade to 1440p eventually), keyboard, mouse.

PCPartPicker Part List:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory ($119.96 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($549.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool CH560 DIGITAL ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1685.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-21 21:52 EST-0500

Well that looks pretty darn good, my only issue is using an MSI part, my personal opinion is that Iā€™ve had bad luck with their parts, probably just myself.

Iā€™ve had both faulty moboā€™s and gpuā€™s from them so I stick with ASUS and/or Gigabyte for pretty much anything Motherboard and GPU related now.

1 Like

Depending on how soon you are planning on putting this bad boy together, you may want to wait until after nvidia announces their 40xx super cards in January to see if the announcement impacts GPU pricing overall. It might take a few weeks after that until the dust settles though and we see how it all pans out. I have been eyeing new GPUs myself, but Iā€™m not in a particularly big rush so I keep holding out.

I saw Msi issues during my research. But I also saw that those Msi power supplies were priced well and have a grade ā€œAā€ rating. Appreciate the heads up though, Iā€™ll def keep that in mind.

Thank you for that feedback. I just looked up an article about the nvidia super cards. Looks like itā€™s rumored for early 2024. Maybe I should hold off. I was kinda in a rush because prices generally seem like they are at a good place at the moment.

If you have another GPU you can use temporarily, or you can deal with the iGPU on the CPU for a month or two (which wonā€™t be great in all honesty), you could buy everything but the GPU for now and get the GPU later. Even if you arenā€™t buying one of the 40xx super cards, new blood in the water tends to cause prices to go down on everything that isnā€™t as new as the new cards. Whether that will play out and favorably is anyoneā€™s guess really, but if you arenā€™t in a major rush for a new GPU, it seems wise to at least wait until 40xx super pricing is announced to see what happens. From what I have heard, the announcement is going to happen on January 8th at nvidiaā€™s CES event.

Maybe I just bite the bullet and get the Radeon 7900xtx form the start. You thinking the 40xx announcement would affect that price as well?

Usually any brand new cards coming out causes anything older to have some sales occur regardless of who made it. Newer stuff means older stuff has to get more competitively priced in order to remain relevant. Itā€™s really impossible to say anything for certain, but with nvidiaā€™s CES event coming up in a little over 2 weeks, it wouldnā€™t hurt to wait unless you are in a rush to get a new GPU right now.

This all really only applies to GPUs though. If the pricing feels good on everything else right now, go for it.

1 Like

Good advice, thank you. Think maybe Iā€™ll buy the other components now and be patient to see how the gpus turn out. Iā€™m currently gaming on a gaming laptop ASUS Helios 300 Predator (wanted something to travel with) so Iā€™m itching to upgrade to a legit PC.

1 Like

It is also worthwhile keeping an eye on this subreddit to see if any GPU sales are announced. Sometimes they are very time sensitive, so this subreddit serves as a good aggregate.

Ya but black friday and christmas sales are coming out flat. So maybe deeper discounts first quarter next year.

I agree, Iā€™ve never selected an MSI board based on features, and i hear ASUS boards is getting worse if they were ever good. I think Jaytwocents had something to say

Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ-QVOKGVyM

Iā€™ve used GIgabyte for every build the last 15 yrs and never had a problem building or running (zero rmas), and the price points is reasonable.
This would be comparible:

Same with Power Supply Seasonic ,Corsair, EVGA I would recommend
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm850x-cp-9020200-na-850w/p/N82E16817139272
666 reviews
https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-g7-220-g7-0850-x1-850-w/p/N82E16817438239
999 review = alotta sales

Iā€™ve always bought through newegg (after NCIX closed down)

1 Like

Awesome! Iā€™ll def add that reddit!

Most of the advice I would have given has already been said, GJ thread. As for my 2 cents, I would pay another $30-$40 for a 4TB gen 3 SSD over the Samsung. The performance impact will be negligible, but you will really appreciate the extra storage.

Something like this:

2 Likes