First Crypto Mining Rig

Sadly, I have been avoiding the gpu/asic mining thing, rather investing in crypto as a buy n hold/trade/leverage trade strategy. I want to expand my investment so I got an Asus z170 mobo to match my used 6600k/6500 (whichever I chose to use, the other I will likely sell) and I just got a second gtx 1080 ftw (in snail mail atm).

I am so excited!!! I am going to have a crypto miner in my living room!!! haha

That all said, I have been watching and reading and learning the past few weeks about setup and configuration, os and softwares, etc.

I think what I want is this:
Windows OS and possibly T_Rex for mining software. No nicehash for me after learning the creator was actually a cyber criminal (once a shithead always a shithead I say). So T_Rex or Hive_OS may be better?

I see there is a little configuration in windows to get ready for mining, then the miner software, and thats really it? What about mining pools? I have one guy I like to learn from on YT, Sebs FinTech Channel, and he is using Ethminer or something …

What Mining pool do you use for what crypto?

What crypto should I be mining? Everyone is mining Etherium atm but when that pops 2.0 out, no more mining Eth, so what then?

I seen Raven coin, NANO, Eth, all being popular. I want to know what you do, how you got setup for your first build.
From my calculations, a single gtx 1080 can pay itself off in about 6 months if the price stays where its at right now. Id be making almost 5$ a day with two 1080’s. Thats pretty good for me starting out, I will be adding a third 1080 asap, within those first 6 months. My goal is to help pay off my CC’s fo the first year or two, and then rake in the coins, not profits. I will be holding those coins for long term investment.

Is there anyway I can find what coins can be mined with 1080’s?

I appreciate any help, tips, and especially links to information that will set me on a successful path as a hobbiest crypto miner! Instead of buying a 2000$ purism laptop, me wondering if I shouldnt have bought 4 more 1080’s :confused: but I feel, I want the librem 14 and can add more GPU as they pay themselves off in time?

Cheers!

I highly recommend,

This site has a bunch of great tools for mining I use their software it’s free for a small rig like your’s and it makes it easy to look at what pool is paying the most depending on your GPU and allows you to switch to that pool.

Go to that link scroll down to your GPU and click on it to see what is the most profitable to mine coin/pool

1 Like

I also track trending cryptos with.

Best wallet in my opinion Metamask

And here is a great place to swap and buy hot coins.

1 Like

Minerstat is new to me but thank you for sharing regardless. I haven’t used PancakeSwap yet. Considering what I need for 5 1080 ftw’s atm, I have one running right now, getting me 36.5 avg MH/s running 45*/60* hotspot. Been up for 16.5 hours and I have made some Eth already. I am happy with last nights performance. Debating storage outside on the porch as they are quite @60% fan, and its cold outside. Wonder if putting the computer rack in a tupperwear and having that on its side so no water can get in. It will be cooler outside and I can maybe not even run the fans. Keeping the cards dust free.

Second gpu is enroute. 3 more gpus is being consdiered. Will be a nice light show as I have a large glass door to my room and I will have the opening to the computer facing the glass and I will be able to see them inside the room. :slight_smile: Only real concern of mine is moisture. Heat and moisture can kill electronic equipment so I will do some reading and expirementing slowly to see if its safe to run outside all winter. It hardly snows here but it gets 30* outside and its usually moist out/rainy.

should be okay. The Overclock on these evga cards is nice but with a lil tweaking I was able to get 2110 mzh on the core and 5005 on the clock. Pwer limit reduced to 70% so Im getting a whopping 150 watt draw on the card @ 250KH/w.

This is awesome! More Crypto!!! Pay my credit cards off get more 1080’s. Any other card I can’t see paying the inflated prices for.

1 Like

It sounds like you’ve done some great research and have already thought of some ways to protect your equipment from the elements.