First build- HALP!

Hello there!
So as the title implies, I'm for the first time building a computer. :grin:
I will mostly be using it for 3D work like ZBrush, Keyshot and Maya, I do game sometimes, but that's not the focus

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 YD1700BBAEBOX 8 Cores/16 Threads, 3.7GHz,20MB Cache, Socket AM4 CPU BOX w/Cooler (i will be overclicking it)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 DDR4 3000MHz 16GB Kit (2x8GB)

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-AX370-GAMING 5 X370

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280 (MLY-D28M-A22MB-R1)

MAIN STORAGE: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 2280 MZ-V6E250 250GB PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.2 SSD

SECONDARY STORAGE: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

PSU: CORSAIR CX650M CO-PS-CX650M (Modular) 650W 80Plus Bronze

GPU: GTX 1080 (not sure on the manufacturer yet)

CASE: Define C Window

MONITOR: DELL 27" U2717D LED Monitor IPS Panel

If you think that something needs to be different please comment!

Would not use Corsair memory. Only the most recent BIOS update enabled 3000MHz on the memory for me.
G.Skill Trident Z works much better (at least on the ASRock X370 Gaming K4).

Depending on how much uptime you want, a good aircooler (Cryorig, Noctua, BeQuiet and the like) might be a better choice. Getting a replacement fan is easier than replacing an AIO.

1 Like

Unless you plan to do some serious overclocking I'd second getting a large air cooler.

A massive heatsink and a bit of air movement is more than enough to cool your CPU under most loads IME. With the added benefit of not having conductive fluid suspended over your rig or a noisy pump.

That being said I have no experience with AMD cpus or ryzen but from what I've seen it shouldn't be substantively different.

And as to the ram, my understanding is that you see decent gains from the cpu with up to 3200mhz ddr4. So that's the rating I'd be looking for, or ram capable of it with my mobo.

edit - there is a level1 video on the subject, not finding the right keywords tho.

I would ditch the m.2 and get a 1tb ssd.
Also if you don't mind overclocking GPUs and want to save some $$ you can grab a 980ti for ~$300 they overclock like crazy and you get around the same performance, but I would wait a little for Vega, I think it'll shake up the price a little. The 1080 is over priced though, I wouldn't buy it at the current price.

Also I agree with every one else air cooler is the way to go, I would highly recommend Noctua, used NH-d 15 for years it gets better temps then most AIOS. Air coolers not only last forever there is no leaking to worry about.

Build looks fine sofar.
I would personally pick G.skill Trident Z, or those new G.skill Flar X memory for Ryzen.
Other then that i would personally go with a more decent psu.
Something like EVGA Supernova 650W-G3 or what not.
Those Corsair CX units arent the best in the world for that matter.

In terms of a GTX1080, i personally like the Asus GTX1080 Strix.

Also a little note for the motherboard:
If you like to have a B-clock generator, then you may want to look at the Asrock X370 Taichi or Asus Crosshair Vi Hero board.

You should go with this cooler only if you want to push 4ghz, your stock works fine till 3,7ghz. Nvme ssds are useless for gaming unless you do large transfers all the time, you can opt for the crucial mx300, 525GB for the price of yours.The psu isn't exactly good either, I'd pick 3200mhz ram with samsung b-die. And x370 is not needed unless you want led and shit.