First build geared towards an IOMMU setup

Hi @SonWon @cowphrase

I got the Noctua fan, same issue, but even worse since the 4 mounting posts are shorter! It looks like the 90 degree will work, but I’ll be using a open air GPU (there were no blower style GPU’s which I prefer) where the CPU fan will be sucking in the GPU exhaust.

Spoke with Amazon tech support, they’ve accepted the returns and will price match against the MicroCenter for the X570 xtreme board after this hassle…only saves $40, but according to camel, it was actually $140 cheaper last month.

Attached photo of the Noctua attempt

After getting in touch with BeQuiet support (they actually have someone you can call /talk to) it turns out the slim is not compatible with the X570S Master due to the heat sink, only the TF 2 and the DR Pro 4 are. Ugh, now I’ll have 3 Master’s and one Xtreme and a new case for the Xtreme, but at least the Slim will fit the Xtreme. I wish there was a reset button to push in times like this. Oh well, once the Xtreme comes in on Friday, I’ll have this weekend to mull over what to keep and send back.

Damn I feel bad for suggesting that board now. But at least they updated the motherboard compatibility site, I swear I checked that two weeks ago and either that motherboard wasn’t listed or it said it was compatible.

The Noctua site still says that the NH-U12S is compatible … https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/Gigabyte-X570S-AORUS-Master-4935

Have you bought a lottery ticket yet? With this much bad luck it has to reverse at sooner or later.

Hi @cowphrase,

Not at all, I really appreciate your help. lol, I should, what’s the worst that could happen, I just lose a few bucks…imagine playing Win 4 Life (NYS Scratch Off) where if you lose, you lose for life, that would be my luck with the X570 experience…because some more bad news, but some great news too!

Bad News: I’m not blaming amazon per se, but it could be a return shipped as new, Aspen Tech’s RMA now in Prime Shipping stock or just poor handling by Amazon…but the GB xtreme MB came today and the retail box is damaged and has sticky stuff on it, plus the MB is scratched on the plate and is missing the anti static bag.

Good News, the U12S does work!!! I jumped the gun and used the compatibility set that turned out to be no good, the actual fan set it good, but not thrilled, because if someone is not careful enough (no instructions to say so) the standoffs have an up and down side, noted by a slight raise in the center on the bottom (no mention of this in the manual) but the reason for that is the trace wires are VERY close to the fattened standoff (esp. compared to BeQuiet which is much slimmer) and that’s (I hope so) to prevent damage to those trace wires when screwed down.

Lots of pics attached.

1 Like

In the bios do not set IOMMU to auto. Set it to enable. I watched a few tutorials to get mine to work but no one video is going to have all the steps. You are going to have to compile all the info together. backup your system before doing anything. Take notes with your phone or another pc.

Pictures on the phone are worth a thousand words and quick!

Hi @cowphrase @jaynj908 @SonWon

Thanks everyone! Duly noted @jaynj908 – I did a walk through on the BIOS from buildzoid (he wasn’t aware of what IOMMU does and SVM mode which need to be set to ENABLED, not left as Auto as you mentioned.)

I followed this guide on youtube from Pavol Elsig and it worked perfectly: GPU passthrough guide for Ubuntu 20.04 - YouTube

I used Kubuntu in this case because getting KDE working well on Rocky Linux was sucking up too much time to get it to work properly.

Also, had to use the nvidia driver (instead of nouveau) on the host because of tearing and followed the guide on setting forced composition in the nvidia control panel in Linux to fix that.

Thanks everyone again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.