Firewire 400 PCIe card invisible on Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

After upgrading from an Asus B450 Prime, my PCIe firewire card disappeared. It did work on the B450 and initially on the X570… I moved the boot drive across and added the new motherboard drivers to my existing win 10 and everything was ok. An update seems to have forced some hardware re scan and now its gone. If i view hidden items in device manager it shows the installed drivers but says the hardware is not connected. I do need Firewire for DAW hardware.

I have tried the latest "PCIe friendly’ beta bios which did improve graphics card integration, but still no firewire card. Is this an x570 issue or an Asrock issue??? I can go back to the B450 and lose a couple of sata ports but would prefer the new MB

Might be neither. Might just be windows being windows.

You have a USB drive to give ubuntu a shot? Just boot it from USB, open a terminal and check what lspci has to say.

Will give that a shot when i get home… but when i first put the card in on the B450 board it installed immediately and ran flawlessly. Another side issue is the on board HD audio has some distortion on low signals.

Another thing, the x570 board came with a 1.6 bios revision which doesnt seem to exist on the asrock site. I also tried reverting to an earlier bios with no success and also tried loading a new copy of win 10 and was getting BSOD

Bsod might be wifi. Disable it for the install.

Make sure m.2 doesn’t share pcie resources?

Wendell,

Wifi disabled and not using any of the m2 ports. All drives are SATA. Played with it again last night and the bios definitely doesnt see the PCIe card. Ran through all slots. Ran the card up on my B450 board and was working in seconds…

SATA and pcie can be shared signal pairs though :slight_smile: double-check manual?

Or switch slot.

Double checked manual - although some stuff lost me i didnt see where any choice between sata and PCIe was possible. Have swapped slots.

The most recent bios (last month) claimed to be more PCIe friendly and it seemed to play better with the GTX 1650…

Problem is the firewire connection is essential for my DAW to work. It interfaces with a Yamaha N12 digital mixing desk which gives me my audio in/out. I have seen Thunderbolt 3 used with 2 dongles and an adaptor lead (T3 to T2, T2 to FW small plug, small to USBish converter lead) but thats not cheap and hardly what i want my customers seeing -

Update - New Bios released yesterday. 3 days since last Bios update. 3 weeks to the one before that. Still no joy.

Run https://www.pci-z.com/ (lspci type command for Windows) does it pick up the card?

What card are you using and what chipset does it use?

Can you test the PCIE card on your previous system? To ensure it hasn’t died between installs?

Weird guess question, was your previous motherboard using CSM? What happens if you enable that on your new pc?

I will try the card command when I get home. The card is a TI chipset PCIe firewire 400 card. It was running on the same processor / ram on then Asus B450 prime. Also if i cant figure this out tonight I will have to go back to the B450 (which will be painful with both cubase and NI Komplete 500 gig install)…

As a last resort definitely try enabling CSM for boot (Compatibility Support Module) and a (unfortunately necessary) re install of windows. CSM makes windows boot in legacy/BIOS mode instead of Efi. It may be that booting in uefi mode does something to the card, and as CSM is sometimes enabled by default, you may have two different configurations on the different motherboards.

Worthwhile trying if you want to keep the X570 setup.

1 Like

I havent enabled the fast uefi boot. Still sits around and waits for bios at bootup

Fastboot isn’t the same as CSM. CSM enables the use of legacy devices that don’t boot using uefi which I’m thinking the problem may be given the age of FireWire devices.

Here’s the page from the motherboard manual, see the comment in the screencap

1 Like

Thanks for that :slight_smile:

Now I am much happier… but questioning my fault finding logic now. Tried all the tools like the PCIe scanner etc and still no joy… I was just about to roll back to the B450… When as I said earlier… I thought I still hadnt had it in UEFI fast boot… Gave it a go and everything came up like magic… Yamaha N12 mixer now fully integrated back into my recording setup…

2 Likes

Wow, looks great! Forgot to say hi, I had a similar situation when I was trying to find out why my wireless card does not work, I tried to install different drivers on it but everything is empty (also does not work). Since I used Windows I tried four different tips on different forums to try on Linux. However, I soon found out that the problem was in the wireless card itself. So I started looking on different forums where I can get a good map at an inexpensive price and found the site http://www.technize.com where I could buy different things on the recommendation from the Amazon site. By the way ordering from Amazon card still works…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.