Firefox Youtube stuttering

A few updates ago I noticed that FX’ YouTube playback isn’t smooth anymore. When I’m direclty watching a video everything is fine. However, when I switch tabs a couple of times and return to my video it sort of hangs and takes a while to resume video playback (audio is fine the whole time). Also, if I put the video on my second monitor and start doing something on the other, e.g. Firefox isn’t the active video, I see the same video lags.
Honestly, I even thing this is a feature introduced to reduce FX memory usage, but I don’t really bother about it’s memory usage, however, I do care about smooth video playback. Any about:config setting related to this?

I’ve found similar using FF. Max 10 tabs open. The vid would play for a minute or two then start lagging and sttuttering. If I pause it for a bit it would run smooth again for awhile. Also if the computer was idle for more than 5 minutes then the fans would spin up and cpu would be at anywhere from 50% to 95%, and max frequency would be 135% or more. I moved to Chrome temporarily until I can figure out what’s causing this. I’m using an old Asus k5t3a laptop, 8 gig ram, and with W8.

1 Like

Idk how useful this will be, butmages ago I had a problem in opera that when I switched tabs the video would start jumping. Eventually I got null to it and hadn’t noticed how bad it had actually gotten. Turns out my issues then had to do with the version of the browser as well as flash settings and going back a few nightly builds and fucking around with settings got everythingwto a somewhat working order.

1 Like

Well, I’m using the recent version and Quantum on different OSes (Win 10, macOS) and HTML5 on YouTube (for quite a while). I assume that in order to decrease FX’ memory footprint the decided to change how video playback is handled in regards to non-active tabs.