Firefox tab hoarding help

ok, due to my recent… issues with chrome, i’m trying to move away from it for anything but multimedia going forward, but I have a few extensions I need help with finding a replacement for.

the marvelous suspender - for suspending tabs/freeing ram, I find if I bookmark things they never get dealt with but if I leave a tab there it does get dealt with over time
tabs outliner - possibly the best extension for using tabs as it lets me close out tabs and effective have them as bookmarks that actually get used unlike the programs normal book marks

there are a few other extensions that I have found replacements for, however nothing seems to be similar to tabs outliner, or at least without serious compromises, anyone know something for this? also, marvelous suspender for chrome seems to be one of the better suspension extensions, is there anything good for this for firefox.

and on a side note, is there any extension I may overlook that really helps with tab hoarding in firefox that may outdo chrome? I know it’s not a problem I should enable but its a problem that isn’t going away.

hello :slight_smile:

am a tab hoarder too, i mainly use:

vertical tab management: tree style tab

with its extension unloader

http://tabmixplus.org/ (i use just the rename tab standalone)

this one allows you to save sessions, which can be seen as “a collection of tabs” , and it’s friendly with treestyletab.
I find this one particularily powerfull: i have a window for all my tabs regarding project A, another for projectB, and can save that window’s collection of tab, and their tree hierachy, to recall later.
that could maybe replace tab outliner , i’m not sure, i didn’t understand your description

EDIT:
for tab hoarders, firefox mutli-account container is also very useful, give it a try (it’s a privacy tool, but it has other usage, fiddle with it)

2 Likes

I have an enormous amount of open tabs and I don’t use extensions to manage them. I just keep the sessions saved, if my browser closes, only the pinned tabs load, and then any subsequent tab that I click on. That way, I get best of RAM saving and open tabs. If my RAM gets out of hand, I close and reopen firefox. At most I keep around 15 tabs open, with the rest of 100+ being inactive.

I do look into those tabs from time to time, while I never look at bookmarks. That’s my way of dealing with it. Extensions just make your browser unique, but not that I am one to say that, when I have many privacy extensions.

2 Likes

(( this is completely OT, and i appologies, but this seems an interresting view to me, and i value curiosity ))

hello @ThatGuyB

i am currious:

Extensions just make your browser unique

Do you mean unique in the pov of online tracking (which is to be avoided) or do you mean unique in the cognitive sense (where one organizes data in one’s browser, in a way that suits one specificaly)

i ask because:

• I wholeheartly believe that online tracking is dangerous to society (because profiling exclude the ability to evolve)
  • I think using tools to organise data on one’s computer that fits one’s unique approach to said data can be a net positive (it becomes negative when the organising gets in the way). This becomes very positive when the organasing is utomatic (this occurs once the tools have been configured to do so).

and i wonder what your take is

I was talking about unique, as in browser fingerprinting, so online tracking.

Of course, anything that is customizable has the potential of being uniquely modified to cater to one’s needs, but that’s a given. I was talking about tracking.

Well, disabling JavaScript stops a lot of that, but you can’t really do that with everything, most sites stop working when you do so. Even this forum is mostly JS. So it Youtube, so is PeerTube and many other sites. But whenever I can get away with not enabling JS, I do. I have NoScript, uMatrix, uBlock (in the rare case I do a global temporary exception on JS), decentraleyes, Privacy Badger, Privacy Possum, Universal Bypass and ClearURLs. I think at some point I had violentmonkey as well, I don’t remember why I removed it. This setup is pretty unique and given that I also run Linux, I think I would be pretty identifiable if I allow JS

thank youthe for you reply. and completely agree with your assesment: fingerprinting is evil, and serves no purpose that are beneficial to the user. (if the user want to be identified, he logs in)

I long for a browser that let me customize its javascript engine.

For exemple having te ability to instruct the javascript engine that when it is queried for the resolution or audio capabilities, the engine should randomize its response.

There are various addons that allow some randomization, but never fully. when i go to a website that examine my fingerprint some always filters through unrandomized…
Blocking javascript is the nuclear option, and breaks some site functionalities that are useful, it is effective only to a certain degree, and the cost is getting bigger everyday.

Web browser has become an OS over the OS; with the user having very very little control over it :confused:

have a nice day:)

You are probably looking for LibreJS.

Use OneTab, available for firefox and chrome.

Click a button, stuff all the tabs in that window into the onetab page.

There you can open the clusters of tabs back into a window, easily see and delete them, export/import them, or simply ignore them forever adding more to the pile which is easier and less anxiety inducing that going through them or just closing them all (“what if there was an important page?”).

ok, let me go this way with a bit of an explanation, as of right now chrome has 1599 tabs both open and suspended if I parsed everything and closed what is done I could probably get this down to about 10 open tabs and 200 suspended (alot of what I keep track of just needs to be re opened and checked every now and then, easier to keep them up and suspended). tabs outliner has upwards 75000 tabs to go through later… yea it got a bit out of hand, and I can probably just outright remove around 50000 of them. about 15000 of them are directly from a website I use shutting down temporarily and me needing to use other sites, I have yet to merge all the data there back into the site now that its back up.

so I have to ask, are any of the options given here able to deal with this absolute cluster of a situation? because honestly certain things are idea for my use, if I was able to shut down firefox, have all the tabs save/offload and only open up a certain set that I always keep up, that would be very useful, but what tabs outliner does seems to combine several functions,

a vertical tab window
effectively a bookmark system for tab closing,
along with management tools that let me move tabs within that window and have them change on program.

to me, this is a major extension that I got VERY use to using and relying on, and in all honesty it was probably a bad thing considering it has me almost completely tied to one browser because of it.

1 Like

Wew, yeah that’s like way more of an order of magnitude worse than I’ve ever been. At this point your usage of tabs is a pathological usurpation of your browser’s history feature lmao.

OneTab can definitely handle dumping thousands of tabs into it’s page (even if it might take a bit and look like things are frozen for a while), but using it with tens of thousands of tabs is basically going to be opening up an basic html webpage with tens of thousands of links on browser start.

Also note that “auto tab discard” (also for firefox and chrome is a good alternative to the great suspender. Despite it’s name, it unloads tabs, not closes them. It’s better than the great suspender because the suspended tabs don’t rely on the addon (and it’s sessions) to survive. If your browser crashes or you remove or disable the great suspender you can possibly lose the tabs managed by it’s sessions in some circumstances. I am not sure if marvelous suspender has changed anything in regards to how it suspends tabs.

1 Like

the built in chrome versions, at least when enabled through the great suspender, just starts to endlessly add processes never really giving up ram, well… it might but when it crapped out nearly 500 processes I turned that feature off, does it work better in firefox or is it kind of just as unruly?

but yea, alot of my tabs end up being ‘to parse’ or ‘to download’ and over time kind of get clogged up, I would say a good 20000 of these are probably closer to browser history than I like to think, but yea, this is a slightly future me problem to parse, after I get the os changed, ill pair that down and get it to an exportable state.

I’ve not paid to much attention to process usage, since I start pruning things into onetab the moment I notice a performance hiccup, but I believe chrome is just a glutton when it comes to process usage.

I’ve restarted it with no tabs at all and it still eats 16 processes for a bit, after a while it drifts down to 13.
Opening 99 tabs spikes the processes to 116. However, using auto tab discard to suspend the tabs dropped the processes down to 16 again.

I’m not keen to disrupt my firefox “session” for testing as I’m not ready to prune just yet, but 6 windows open plus auto tab discard suspending everything except the primary tabs and a few others per window sits at 13 processes.

So I can’t guarantee your processes won’t skyrocket, but it does seem to do a good job of getting them back down.

I usually hover between 50 and 350 across a few windows, I guaranteed go through them all at least twice a day (usually close a bunch of stuff after finishing something, and to reorganize my day moving on)… it’s super annoying when they suspend as well as whenever some poorly written JavaScript keeps eating CPU.

What I’m wondering is, is there a better way to manage session history somehow for us browser heavy workers, other than keeping a bunch of tabs open.

Oh and there’s tabs in vscode … oh how I miss Ctrl+, and “quick open” still gets me every time after a year of daily use.

there’s these revolutionary things called bookmarks, browser history, reading list, etc.

also reminders. i use reminders in macos instead of just keeping tabs open.

keeping shit open in the background constantly … why.

1 Like

I use to have server issues on my only phenom II computer where if I went over 152 processes windows would randomly black screen crash, so I became acutely aware of process usage of process use, I may not have had a black screen crash in years, but I dont think its an amazing thing to have too many left open.

if you want a history/reading list, look at chromes tab outliner, like I said it’s more or less replaced bookmarks for me for better or worse. I think there is also a chrome extension that treats websites like rss feeds even if they don’t have an rss feed, I remember seeing something like that and deciding against it because my sites that update tend to update a few hundred things I don’t care about before they update something I do, as its functionality would be useless. taboutliner and marvolus suspender could have you make a round 1000 suspended tabs, close them suspended, then re open them in a suspended state and you unsuspend whatever tab you want, I have done this when I had browser crashes in the past, it does work and may be able to get you toy have a dedicated check window that you can suspend open and close it all out.

Hello necro!

I used to not be able to have more than 20 tabs open. After breaking that mental restriction in late 2019, it grew to 300-500, where I needed to get help. It was STG. Then it grew out of hand, peaking to ~3.3k tabs in summer of 2021.

At first, it allowed me to work on a thing, switch to another thing, and later back without any context loss. Yet at some point, I began filing everything as ‘for later’, doing mindless pushing.

I’ve been sub-2k for a quarter. The best help has been multi-row_tabs.css in github.com/mrotherguy/firefox-csshacks. Nowdays, it’s impossible without seeing three rows of half-width tabs.

It’s normal for me to open hundreds of tabs in one go, and start closing them. Middle clicking everything is my go-to. I also have extensions for copying and injecting URLs. Being able to select multiple tabs at once (shift-clicking) is great.

I’ve used tabs as todos as well, but I’ve mostly moved them to a giant markdown document. The largest change I’ve tried to make has been to cut down on mindless managing and migrating after migrations.

That’s the gist of my story.