Finding a good DOOM (1&2) source port

I'm planning on doing a small lan party with my computer science class. One of the few games that the computers there could handle (and that isnt necessarily blocked by the network) is DOOM. I really like the version that ships with the doom 3 bfg edition but that one isn't really portable because of steam, so what I want to do now is create USB stick with a version (source port) doom 1 and 2 on it that meets the following criteria:

• Multiplayer should work (doesnt work on bfg edition)

• Must work on Windows 7 and preferably 10 (would be awesome if linux and mac are supported as well)

• similar game behaviour to the version in doom 3 bfg edition (in terms of controls, graphics, etc.). I tried chocolate and crisp doom and while crisp felt very close to bfg but the mouse behaviour wasnt alway that smooth. Also I read that its supposed to have vertical mouse movement (didnt seem to have it when I tried it but still) and I want to keep it closer to stock

• the game should be portable (bfg isnt)

Any recommendations for source ports?

check out good ole games, it has it with a built in dosbox emulator so easy peasy with no drm.

Well, I was hoping I didn't have to rebuy the games, but I might give it a try. Though I have to say, i tried chocolate and crispy doom yesterday, and they actually worked better than expected. At least crispy did, after i changed the key bindings, cranked up the graphics, and uncapped the framerate (i know its not very true to the original, but it does deliver a very good experience that way. Pretty sure thats most of the changes they made with the bfg edition as well)

1 Like

zandronum and gzdoom are good ones.

Gog uses dosbox, and I highly suggest you by from them Cuz... I'm a shill for them, but ya its just dosbox. I used both zandronum and gzdoom after I got doom from GOG.

Also zandronum is mp focused so it maybe what you want to use

I use chocolate doom and it's great.

You should get these HQ music packs if you can use them, they are very good and true to how the music was originally meant to be heard
http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#doom

If you end up using chocolate doom with those packs be sure to use the beta release.