Finally, an OEM 2U side blower that makes sense on AsRock Rack Ryzen boards

AsRock Rack is famous for its low-cost server/workstation motherboards running on Ryzen, like X470D4U and X570D4U. However, what’s annoying is that the cooling bracket is rotated 90 degrees. This is a terrible design choice for HomeLab setup, as AMD consumer coolers installing on that mainboard would blow air upwards, breaking the backward airflow. What’s more, backplates are glued to mainboard, and I don’t want to risk breaking it.

Recently I came across Cooler Master’s S2N-6FMYS-S7-GP, a 2U AM4 side blower on IdleFish (the biggest online flea market in China Mainland) and got it for CNY 30. Turns out it works perfectly.

This unit should also be available on AliExpress and CWCGroup.

7 Likes

Interesting find. I shall investigate, as I do have a X470D4U board that needs a 2U case in the (near?) future.

Ok hawt

If you have a Noctua cooler you can use the NM-AM4 (or NM-AM4-UxS) mounting kit to rotate the cooler 90°. I’ve run a NH-U9DX i4 3U in front-to-back orientation on similar boards in the past.

If you’re in Europe (or can stomach the shipping costs elsewhere) an affordable low-profile option is the Gelid Slim Silence AM4. I’ve currently got one keeping a Ryzen 5 3600 cool on my X570D4U—in a 1U case—and temperatures are acceptable (but not fantastic).

1 Like

How is the noise and thermals on that?