Finalizing an upgradable Ryzen Linux Build

So, my last desktop build was in 2010 and it served me well for several years. Since then, I’ve been using laptops as my main machines. Some of them have been massive 17" desktop replacement machines, but these days… I rock a T470 thinkpad. So… I’m looking to build up a solid workstation again.

The idea is I want to start wish a solid base, that I can upgrade over the next year or two as I learn how much room I actually need to stretch out my legs, and as hardware/prices change.

Use cases:

• I’ve been a full time Linux user for about 9 years, so my build needs to work with Linux, and I could care less about Windows support.
  • I often run a bunch of VMs and containers these days. I also have started to spin things up like OpenStack clusters, so CPU cores + RAM is what I want to likely max out over the lifespan of the machine.
  • I don’t really game much, but my thinkpad’s 2% ability to game when I DO want to has been annoying lately. A good GPU is at the bottom of my list of things I need NOW, and even then it doesn’t have to be the best (my games are low spec).

So based on my budget (~$650-$800ish USD), I’m looking at starting with a Ryzen 5 2400g for awhile with lots of RAM. This will be a nice cpu upgrade from what I have now (2c/4t to faster 4c/8t, and should be good enough graphics. Also, it paves the way to maybe upgrade to a Ryzen 7 2700 (or whatever else is out) down the road, once the 2400g starts feeling tight. I also want to get 2x16GB of RAM since my current 16GB is a bit tight, and I can easily upgrade to 64GB later on (Remember… lots of VMs, ZFS pools, containers).

So here is what I have so far:

• Ryzen 5 2400g
  • MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (not urgent or even needed. I have a 850 evo I can use for a bit)
  • EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/himmelwr/saved/#view=QxvNQ7

I was going to get a B450 tomahawk, but when I switched to the APU, I realized that it didn’t really have a good output for 4K which I need (I have a 42.5" LG 4k monitor). So, looking around I saw good ratings for the MSI B450 Gaming PRO Carbon AC… but I haven’t heard anything about it’s linux support? It looks like a good board and I don’t mind spending a little more for it since it’s one of the longer term components of this build.

Lastly… I sorta just grabbed a power supply in the picker at random. If anyone has a better rec, I’m all open (I wonder if I’m overpaying for one?)

Sorry for the rambeling, basically what I’m asking is:

• Does this look good?
    • Do these parts go well together?
    • Is this good for an upgrade path?
    • Better PSU?
    • Anyone know about linux support on the MB?

I’m about to start ordering parts but wanted to pass this through the level1 community first :slight_smile:

(P.S. I know the 2400g has had issues with linux, and specifically Fedora in the past. However, I heard that using VERY new kernels and stuff should fix that. I’m planning on using Fedora 29 so I think it should be okay)

Looks like a pretty good match to your requirements to me, I would be happy with that. I noticed a thread on here the other day about Ryzen 2400G and Linux driver support but can’t find it now. If decent support for the 2400G under Linux is absent then going for a Ryzen 5 2600 (or 1600) with a cheap RX 550 or RX 560 GPU might be a good, if slightly more expensive route.

@KleerKut Could you advise on the 2400G Linux situation?

Hmmm… I thought about that before but passed over it because it didn’t make much since to go in on a 2600 with the desire to have a 2700. The 2400g makes more sense as a temp cpu, because I can easily re-use it in a media pc when I upgrade.

However… if I’m actually thinking about waiting till maybe getting a new ryzen 7 when they’re released… it might make sense.

I guess the one thing that wouldn’t make sense here still is getting a rx560 and wanting to upgrade soon… I’ll think about it lol

1 Like

Makes sense. In the UK the 2400G and 2600 are almost the same price, I have seen some 1600’s for sale even cheaper than both. The real budget Ryzens are the four core, four thread parts here.

If you did need to get a GPU maybe something like a second hand R7 260 would probably be good enough for cheap? I used one for as a stand in for a little while, I was quite impressed with its performance as I thought it would be terrible but it was generally fine for > 30 FPS @ 1080p.

I think I’d probably go with the rx560, as It’s realistically is good enough for me, and even a bump above the vega 11 in the 2400g…

I’m seriously pricing this out right now… I think I can temp offset the price by not getting the m.2 yet since I have another ssd I can use for the time being.

The question is though… if I go with this, now that I could use the B450 Tomahawk again, is it still worth the extra money and pushing my budget to still get the Gaming Pro Carbon AC over it still?

Make sure you get the right rx560. afaik there is a lower end version with pretty much the same name
( unless they changed that now )

So as an update, I’m thinking something like this…?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/himmelwr/saved/#view=MhbcYJ

This looks like a sold build to me.

One consideration is that AMD is releasing the RX590 cards in like 2 weeks. You might be able to save some cash on the 560 if you give it a bit of time.

BTW I have the 750 watt version of that Power supply, it’s seriously good quality.

I’d recommend double checking the RAM on G.Skills site just to make sure the timings will work at 3200 with your board, and don’t be a dummy like me and install the RAM in the non-primary slots :-):rofl:

Yea, the ram timings are a bit of a concern as they’re a bit higher… But to get 14-14-14 is like $100 more.

I found this but not sure what it’s telling me. My selected ram isn’t there with my board…

https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=3396&model=3441

I think I’m just going with it and hopefully it works, and at best, works well lol. Basically anything better is MASSIVELY more expensive at the moment…

I’m running RAM timings at 16-16-18-38 using PC3200.
It is fast as hell, I can’t see a point in anything faster unless I was doing some high end compilation or graphics processing.

It sounds like for your use case this system should be excellent, and it’s nice to know you can upgrade to a new AM4 processor later!

edit: I would caution if the RAM doesn’t show as compliant at 3200 on this list. I saw other people complaining they couldn’t hit the 3200 when that was the case, so your mileage may very.

Okay, after looking around the RAM I had didn’t have the best reviews. I switched it out to somoe G.Skill Trident Z, which should be a bit better, at least for the extra $10.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232413&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Updated List:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/himmelwr/saved/MhbcYJ

Thanks

1 Like

I think that’s looking pretty good and in terms of CPU & GPU power far better than the first build you had for barely any extra cash. I hope the build etc goes smoothly and you’ll be able to tell us how great it is :slight_smile:

I’m currently running the trident Z. It seems to be stable, but I haven’t pushed it very hard as I still don’t even have an OS on the system yet due to some RAID issues

Just ordered everything. Thanks for all the help everyone! I’ll be sure how everything works post build (hopefully it’s all great…).

FYI, the actual rx560 I went with was the 4G saphire one (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202320). I think that’s the one to get (at least after watching an hour of videos on them lol)

Thanks again

Final Build List: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/himmelwr/saved/MhbcYJ