File Transfer Computer to phone, as Portals is closed

Hello world,

I had the issue with how to transfer files from Windows to Android and vice versa. Portal(s) used to be a good way to transfer files as you would scan a QR code and drag n drop. It got discontinued a bit ago. So getting images from the phone I used Phone Link, also quite good as I could take and make calls in VR and control apps through screenshare.

Well I don’t use Windows anymore so does KDE phone, or what is the app called, work similarily? I’m currently unable to test it myself. Are there alternatives? As portal was just a webapp.

Alvast bedankt

1 Like

I use Syncthing and make a “shared” folder. I cant elaborate now. Go watch a YT as Lawrence Systems and LearnLinux TV recently made videos about it.

1 Like

I’ve used KDE Connect with positive results in the past. It’s handy for getting info back and forth between various devices. I haven’t used it in a while.

My only real issue was how nebulous it was to discover other devices. It wasn’t like it would instantly pick up all the other devices using KDE Connect, but often take over 30 minutes. Once discovered there was no problem. It’s possible something was messed up on my end or they may have fixed it since then.

2 Likes

I use my QNAP NAS as intermediary. Am sure there is an app that will facilitate file copies, but I do it so infrequently that I just use the web browser on my Samsung to upload / download what I need.

Edit: If you have a USB C connector on the phone, I wonder if a USB flash drive would work. Hmmm. Good experiment for this weekend.

2 Likes

My laptop doesn’t allow storage devices to be connected.

Maybe FTP works or something. I would need to check that later when I get access to my computers. I do miss Phonr Link a tid bit. And I also saw there was an Intel version also available.

I also checked Flatpak and wasn’t able to find anything with phone. Connect resulted in KDE connect.
Android, resulted in guiscrcpy which seems interesting with a terrible name.

But that was it.

1 Like

KDE Connect appears for me in the Google Play store as well as F-Droid. This link might be useful:

1 Like

I’d vote for an open-source program called LocalSend, available on many platforms:

2 Likes