Fiber optic access

I am not sure if what I am going to propose is possible, but …

I live on a drive, it ends at the top of a small hill at my house. The road my drive T’s into has a fiber optic ‘main’, or ‘backbone’, I am not sure the proper name. This was laid years ago for schools and hospitals, for www2 I believe the workers called it, but it was supposed to be accessible to the community after a few years.

I would like to build a server if possible to access the main, without an ISP, since none offer in my area. There are a couple new neighborhoods that have it for a few homes, but nothing significant and nothing near me.

Is such a setup possible? Can I build/purchase&upgrade an older, but functional server that can connect me?

Thank you

Is this technically possible, probably, is it something you can actually do, probably not.

So fiber is point to point, meaning that they either would need to splice in your gear, or create a node at your location.

If there is dark fiber in that line, it may be available to lease but you will need to find out who exactly owns the fibers and see if they want to create a place you can tie into.

Thank you. I will look into that.

My only other option is to pay for it to be run from the att routing building about 8 blocks away. I am not sure how much it costs to lay, but I am guessing more then I want to spend.

Chances are good that is also the less expensive option vs trying to connect to backbone/dark fiber.

should be fun educating myself at least :slight_smile:

regardless of where it runs, you can only make connections at vaults. they may be buried with only the lid findable. or they may be above ground, or if it is Ariel they may be on a pole. BUT, if you can find one of those you should be able to get the owner info from it and contact them.

a lot of smaller communities did a ‘shared path’ fiber infrastructure. so there may be multiple owners, but the info in the box will be for the owner that is able to do repairs.

1 Like