Ffmpeg users and ssim and psnr?

I am attempting to analytically determine how much my compressed file has differed from the source bluray.

SSIM Y:0.933074 (11.744078) U:0.964287 (14.471699) V:0.973908 (15.834994) All:0.945082 (12.602863)
PSNR y:45.922620 u:46.062191 v:47.767837 average:46.205051 min:27.176834 max:inf

These are my values, not sure how to decipher. I google how to decipher ffmpeg values and not sure what they mean. Anyone here understand them?

I am kind of guessing psnr is in decibel and ssim is a decimal percent of being close or further than source file?

I thought the simpler metric was just file size.

How does the warez scene do their releases vs yours?

I think the idea here is to measure signal to noise ratio pre and post encoding instead of only compression ratio.

Maybe look for definitions of those two metrics independent of ffmpeg, because after some quick Google fu it sounds like the ffmpeg people borrowed them from elsewhere instead of creating them on their own.

What I mean is difference in quality to source file. Comparing compressed file’s quality to original bluray source.

SSIM says all .94 which is 94% similar to source. I have one that ended up being .97 or 97% similar.

My 1GB episode (compressed with av1) is 97% similar to the 9GB episode that I ripped. Pretty good if you ask me.

1 Like

Hey man, you and wendell have inspired me to own my disks as well and maybe stop yoinking stuff of the net.

2 Likes

Never too late until too late. Best Buy is not selling them in 2024 and walmart is expected to do the same. So really ebay and amazon are the ways to go. oooff. Buy now while you still can.

The entire country of Australia is no longer taking new stuff in. Selling what the have and then they are done.

@MilzyBee @tjw

1 Like

I’m far away overseas so its probably just Amazon for me. Dont know if silly taxes will apply. There could be a local retailer of BluRays and I dont know if they do some shenanigans on the disk.

I’m also torn about getting stuff legally off HD Tracks for nice quality music but apparently they only allow 1 download per account and that sort of feels weirdly makes me not want to support it.

1 Like

You don’t have to feel weird about that.

:yay:

1 Like

jeez…us… This entire thread is all cookiejira people. i wonder what people joining the forum may think.

we dominate the top posts…

we need our own forum group if possible. @GigaBusterEXE make cookiejira a forum group!

1 Like

One of us! One of us!

2 Likes

Many of Us! Many of Us!

1 Like

Um?

Australia is no longer selling new blurays is my understanding.

oh, i didn’t know that!