Hello everyone,
I’m planning to build an EPYC-based Proxmox server for my Homelab. My goal is to run multiple VMs and services, and eventually use it as an AI playground. That’s why I’ve chosen a large motherboard with plenty of PCIe lanes and a high-wattage PSU for future expansion.
I’d like some feedback on the components I’ve picked, particularly the memory, as I’m uncertain if it’s the best choice:
| Component | Item | Approx. Item Price (EUR) | Link |
|---|---|---|---|
| CPU | EPYC 7443P | 810 | https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/AMD-Epyc-7443P-24x-2-85GHz-So-SP3-TRAY_1450599.html |
| Mainboard | H12SSL-i | 525 | Supermicro MBD-H12SSL-I Motherboard |
| Memory | MEM-DR412MH-ER32 | 640 | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz ECC REG Ram für Supermicro H11SSL-i; SuperServer SYS-510P-M | eBay |
| PSU | Corsair AX1600i | 490 | Corsair AX1600i Digital 1600 Watt ATX Netzteil modular - 80 PLUS Titanium | eBay |
| CPU Cooler | Freezer 4U SP3 | 54 | ARCTIC Freezer 4U-M kompakter 4HE Serverkühler Prozessorkühler PC Lüfter Server | eBay |
Total Cost: ~2519 EUR
A few notes:
- I haven’t decided on specific GPUs yet, so they aren’t listed.
- The 1600W PSU is to prepare for future upgrades, where I may run 3-4 GPUs.
- Although these are enterprise-grade components, the server will be in a rack in my office, so I’m aiming for a relatively quiet build. I’m considering the Arctic Freezer for CPU cooling, and the case will be a Sliger CX4200a, which includes 3 Noctua 120mm fans for front-to-back airflow.
Questions:
- Are the component prices reasonable?
- Is the memory a good choice?
- Could there be heat issues, especially with future GPU additions?
- Am I overlooking anything important?