Feedback on 2 port -> 1 monitor USB C KVM

I’ve had my CAAB-P3112-12 for about a month a half. And most days and use-cases it just always works. But I did struggle a bit to get it initially setup. (The main reason I decided to leave some feedback)

My setup is a 120hz 4k display via displayport in between two laptops. My work M3 macbook pro, and my personal Dell Precision 5540 running popOS. Both machines are set to drive the monitor at 60Hz at 1920x1080(but HiDPI, so actually higher).

Hooked up are a mouse, keyboard, and yubikey.

The number one thing that I had to learn during the setup, which isn’t clear, or even maybe reads as the opposite from manual. Is that the two computers you want connected must be on and connected via the usb c cable pior to powering on the kvm.

This same condition matters anytime the kvm restarts for whatever reason. If one of my laptops is off when the kvm restarts, then it just doesn’t work after that until you restart the kvm with the device plugged in and active. Disconnected and reconnecting the usbc cables doesn’t matter in this case, the kvm needs to be restarted.

With that learning in place, I can restart the machines, hot plug and unplug them, or do so with them off it doesn’t matter. But when the kvm boots up it needs to see it’s two computers.

The only other problem I’ve run into is specific to the macbook. When I switch to the other computer the macbook never notices that it lost a monitor. And that rarely (once or twice a week) results in switching back to the macbook resulting in no displayport output on the monitor until I disconnect and reconnect the cable. There is probably some easy hotkey on the macbook to trigger a fix, but it happens so rarely I haven’t bothered to figure it out.

Other than those two things, the setup works really well. I like the fact that only one cord is connected to the two laptops. And how reliable everything is (when the kvm remains on). I often leave my desk with one of the laptops to take a sensitive meeting, or to use one to game with my family in a different room, so they do get disconnected and reconnected regularly. And I use the personal machine both before and after work, so the switching is used a few times a workday.

But all in all I think some clearer instructions for installation would help.