Fedora Workstation live with more than 4GB persistance overlay

Hello,

I’m looking for a live OS to boot from a portable SSD with persistance capability, and Fedora looks like a good fit. It says it can update as well so that’s great.

I made a live USB from iSO so I can use it to run “livecd-iso-to-disk” utility to make a live SSD with persistence overlay and persistent home.

That worked out just fine following the steps as described in here but it formats it to FAT filesystem thus home and overlay can only be 4095MB in size, and that is not enough as it blew up trying to update after the first boot.

In the docs it mentions it can use ext[234] to have a larger overlay, and I formatted the SSD to ext4 to get it working.
Continuing on with “livecd-iso-to-disk” , it complained about partition not being named “EFI System partition” , so I renamed it, than it complained about not having a boot flag and I’ve added one.

After all of that it continued on to create live SSD, install the bootloader and whatnot, but after it was done the disk is not bootable.

Searching the internet I got the impression that EFI boot is only possible from a FAT partition, and I’m stuck for two days now on how to make a live SSD with filesystem that can hold large files.

Any help would be great, thank you!